About to dive into my 4.6L quad cam 93 Ex build | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

About to dive into my 4.6L quad cam 93 Ex build

I picked up a 2wd 93 Ex 5 spd for some small change I had in my pocket a while back. Its quick being a 5spd 2 door 2wd but I want it to be fast! I've been searching craigslist for the past couple of months looking for a mustang donor car to drop a 5.0L in but around here people think their rotted out shi* box mustangs are still worth $2,500+ and for a grand you can find one needing torque boxs but no motor or trans, which is really no help either. So Last night a deal came up while perusing CL on a complete running driving 95 Lincoln Mark VIII with 80k on it. The guy hit a deer and smashed up the nose a bit so he listed it as a parts car. I'm on my way over to meet him now with the agreed apon $300 for a COMPLETE transplant 4.6L Quad cam, the same motor the cobra runs with a different intake. Haha, what am I getting myself into?:D I still need to find a 5 spd transmission and most likely the correct engine harness to run the 5 speed. Any one know off hand if a standard 4.6L 5 spd will work with the quad cam? I'd assume it would which would make my searching a bit easier. I'd rather run the 5 spd over the 6spd cobra trans anyways

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have been watching this thread, partly because your close by me and I find this type of swap over interesting.
Good luck, and now I have subscribed to this.

wow man sorry to hear bout the X , i just read the entire thread basicly , ill be in Raymond New Hampshire monday for work ,

Thanks for the sympathy on it. There is an option floating around in my head that an inebriated friend of mine tried talking me into the other night. He suggested getting out the sawzall and cutting off the damaged pieces. Granted this idea sounds great to someone whos messed up at the time but I am not really a fan of the side window body lines (kick outs) minus the rear glass and roof. the shape doesn't do much for me. But against my better judgement I imported a side view pic into microsoft paint and messed around for a couple hours with different designs, soft tops, ect and think I may have come up with something I like and would allow the truck to be more functional for me than in it's previous form. No promises that this will be happening but whats the harm in trying? It's just destined to be stripped and go to the scrap yard anyways so if I dont like what I end up with or it doesnt work out the way I want I'll go back to hunting for a clean southern truck and this hits the scrap heap. But in the chance that it comes out as cleanly as I think I can do it, it should look and perform amazing. I'm about to get into a chop top on my 4 door 4x4 ex so maybe I'll end up with a pair of them both 2 door 2wd and 4 door 4x4. If I had the spare cash for the soft top right now it would be cut up by next weekend!

The Ex has been crushed

While removing misc pieces to prep for the roof chop I continued finding more and more hidden damage to the Ex. Somehow the damaged roofline had actually extended up as far as the windshield and no matter how much I were to cut I wouldn't have been able to completely remove the afflicted areas. I hauled it into the scrap metal yard in sad shape a few weeks back but gaining myself $380 for it in the process. So I guess it wasn't a total loss, I paid $150 for the truck not running. I drove it 40,000 miles with nothing into it but spare parts I had from my mud truck. I litterally stripped EVERY salvagable part off including the entire front clip and still managed to more than double my money back in scrap metal weight. I cut my losses and I'll soon be on the look out for a clean southern 2wd. In the meantime thankfully I had not dismanteled the Lincoln donar car any farther than removing the damaged pieces from the collision with the deer. I was able to score a second Mark VIII parts car for $350 complete, running and driving. So the origional black donar car is mid process in repair as we speak and going up for sale itself leaving me with the second 32v 4.6L drivetrain and chasis to play with over the winter. This project is not over it's just hit a set back. I just had my knee surgery this week so I'm down and out for a while anyways, I'll get back on this once I'm caught back up on my other bills from being laid up for so long.

Back