About to purchase a 2016 or 2017 XLT V6/3.5L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

About to purchase a 2016 or 2017 XLT V6/3.5L

Tier1Terrier

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
We are about to purchase either a 2016 or 2017 XLT V6. Optional equipment to include all the safety technology upgrades, 2nd row bucket seats and dual moon roof.

I have to admit I know very little about these cars and due to an urgent need and lack of time, I have only just discovered this forum. I know that moving forward, I will become very active here as I am in the... dare I say... BMW forum. But until then, I'm hoping that someone can provide me with a general idea on what kind of issues are most prevalent in the current iteration of the Explorer, the highs, the lows, anything with regards to the options we're looking at. I know for example that with my wife's current car, leaky sunroofs and transmission problems are a common issue. What about for this car?

Also, does anyone recommend getting the factory extended warranty at time of purchase or any other add-ons that the finance manager will surely try to persuade me to buy?

Any input at all before we take the plunge would be greatly appreciated. Even if that input is to wait for the next generation 2018 models.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just take the leap of faith and hope that there are no major or systemic issues.

There's absolutely no make or models out there that are problem free.

The only "major" issue that was reported for those with the NA engine, was a faulty electronic throttle body.

The transmissions in these vehicles are fairly proven units. The 3.5L NA is a fine workhorse, the only issue with them is that the water pumps, if/when they fail, require major disassembly and thus a large labor charge to replace.

The 3.5L NA had a spate of bad throttle bodies, but I haven't heard of any issues with a 2017 having them. If you get a 2016, get a late build one.

I would get a 2017 myself (again) becuase of Sync 3. It's a huge upgrade over the end-of-life MyFord Touch system. You won't regret it even for the extra premium.

Welcome to the Forum Tier1Terrier.:wave:
It seems you have your mind made up on a 2017 looking at your profile.:)
Not sure about your "urgent need and lack of time" but I would also recommend ordering a 2017. There may be some good deals on 2016 models due to dealers trying to clear their inventory but as mentioned Sync 3 will only be available in the 2017 models. That may or may not be a consideration. As far as waiting for "the next generation 2018 models", that may be a longer wait than anticipated. It has been posted that the next generation will not be until 2020. http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/2020my-ford-explorer-redesign.442137/
I would suggest checking out this sub forum for posts on the 2016 models to get an idea of what issues there may be.

Peter

We purchased a 2017 XLT with the sport appearance package, dual panel moon roof, package 202a, tow package and the 3.5l NA at the beginning of July. Since then we've taken a roughly 500 mile round trip (the day we bought it, haha) and just got back from a 1,500-ish mile trip. In about a month and a half we've already put 3,200 miles on it. So while we're still 'new' to the Explorer, we've had some 'break in' time with it, too. A few thoughts:

A) As mentioned by thefranchise713, spring for the 2017. Sync 3 is amazing. Granted, I never used MFT, but compared to the original Sync (which is what our 2011 Fusion SE has) it's a night and day difference.

B) It's obviously very early into the life of the vehicle, but it rained on us every day in Florida (talk about a wet vacation) and has rained on us every day since we've arrived home....hard, most of the time...and no leaks, yet. And while I know the Explorer and Fusion are two totally different vehicles, the moon roof in our Fusion hasn't shown any signs of leaking at all so I'm pretty confident we'll be fine in the Explorer as well. Don't know if you have kids or not, but my boys (nearly 2 and 4) absolutely love being able to look up at the stars at night (when it's not constantly raining, that is.)

C) Part of the reasoning for us buying the Explorer at the dealer we did was they guarantee the drive train for life as long as you keep detailed service records (vs free oil changes for life where we bought the Fusion) so that kept us from buying a lot of the 'extended warranties', etc. We did purchase one, however, that (if I recall correctly) helps to pay off the vehicle in the event it gets totaled (I was in and out of the office when this was being negotiated, dealing with keeping the children from destroying the dealership...never doing that again.) If I recall correctly the cost was under $1,000 (much less I think.) The wife put the contract away and I can't find it for the life of me, but when she gets home I'll take a look and provide more specifics about it. But, as stated previously, with the lifetime drive train guarantee from the dealer we felt safe forgoing a lot of the other warranties offered.

D) I absolutely love the Explorer. I went from driving a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee (that was in excellent condition with low miles) to this. There are a few things that took me a while to get used to, though:

1) It's wider than the GC, so some parking spots (especially in parking garages and amusement parks) are 'tighter' to park in than the Jeep. You still have room, but it's just a slightly larger vehicle and there was a 'learning curve' in parking. :)

2) The hood is a bit harder to see over than the GC. Again, once you get used to it this isn't an issue at all, but for the first week or so of driving it I'd pull into a parking spot and think I was basically on top of the car in front of me. Only to get out and realize I still had about two feet of space, haha. A bit embarrassing at first. We have front and rear parking sensors and I've learned to trust then while parking. Plus, with time, it becomes easier to judge the distances.

3) Don't know if the one you're looking at has the second row console or not, but if it doesn't I'd suggest getting the dealer to add it on when you buy. The cost for it as an option is under $200, but to buy one after the fact adds an additional $150 or so to the cost. We didn't buy it when we purchased ours because our boys are young, but looking back I wish we would have bought it and just kept in the box to install in a couple of years when the boys are a bit bigger. In the grand scheme of things an additional $150 isn't that much money, but why not save the money when you can? (And this is obviously pointless if it already comes with the second row console.)
Ok, enough rambling. Just trying to touch on things that either you asked about or that I thought might be helpful. Good luck in your search. :)

Go with the 17 as stated because of Sync 3. Sync 3 will only get better where MFT is pretty much dead now.

As far as ESP, I have a contact who will sell it to you $100 over cost which most dealers will not touch (some discounted online dealers will). Also, you do not have to buy it at time of purchase, in fact, I recommend not because then you'll pay interest on it if it is rolled into your loan. My guy that I refer many to will let you do 24 payments on it at 0% interest through Ford.

Best of luck and enjoy your new Ex whichever way you go.

I have a top of line '15 limited, and its with mixed emotions that I have to mention: fit & finish and quality is FAR below par compared to competition in the same price range; especially if you go for the high end Explorers its an certain disappointment. Also refinement is not up to par, with squeaks and noises when the road surface is uneven.. For sure you be hunting these irritating squeaks and noises during the first few months like I did; after that you give up. So if that is a concern, look away. The AC is not as strong when compared to European and Japanese brands; if you live in a very hot climate like I do (122F for 2 months a year), stay away, because it struggles.

But if these are not a concern, and you just lease it, its the best purchase possible for the money and best looking SUV on the market.... But if you want to own it long term, look further.

I have a top of line '15 limited, and its with mixed emotions that I have to mention: fit & finish and quality is FAR below par compared to competition in the same price range; especially if you go for the high end Explorers its an certain disappointment. Also refinement is not up to par, with squeaks and noises when the road surface is uneven.. For sure you be hunting these irritating squeaks and noises during the first few months like I did; after that you give up. So if that is a concern, look away. The AC is not as strong when compared to European and Japanese brands; if you live in a very hot climate like I do (122F for 2 months a year), stay away, because it struggles.

But if these are not a concern, and you just lease it, its the best purchase possible for the money and best looking SUV on the market.... But if you want to own it long term, look further.

I can completely understand the fit/finish in the 11-15s (haven't seen the inside of the 16s) in certain areas (doors meeting dash) but mine which was an early 2011 has zero squeaks, rattles or noises. It is just as quiet as the day we bought it now with 98,500 miles on it.

Having driven a 2014 XLT with the 3.5L NA engine for 2 years, and then moving to a 2016 with the 2.3L ecoboost, I would never even consider the 3.5L NA engine. It's a dog compared to even the 2.3L ecoboost. The 2.3L ecoboost would be my choice in the XLT, and in one of the more upscale models it would be the 3.5L ecoboost, or if I could get my hands on one, like in the Lincoln MKX, it would be the 2.7L ecoboost.

I'm getting 26.5 mpg on the highway at 75 mph, and 20.5 mpg around town.

Go with the 17 as stated because of Sync 3. Sync 3 will only get better where MFT is pretty much dead now.

As far as ESP, I have a contact who will sell it to you $100 over cost which most dealers will not touch (some discounted online dealers will). Also, you do not have to buy it at time of purchase, in fact, I recommend not because then you'll pay interest on it if it is rolled into your loan. My guy that I refer many to will let you do 24 payments on it at 0% interest through Ford.

I may hit you up for that contact info, but right now ford is offering 72 months at 0% so interest on loan is not an issue.

And while 72/0 is great, it does bring the question of gap insurance into play. Any thought on that?

When I financed through my credit union, gap was $295. However at 0%, 100% goes to principle, so you would not be upside very long.

I'll mention this, too... if you haven't driven the 2.3L, you owe it to yourself before putting down the money. Someone else said it, and I'll mention it too that the 3.5L NA felt like a dog in comparison. There are plenty of good reasons--including personal preference--to get the 3.5L NA, but drive the 2.3L if you haven't. It's a much lighter vehicle with that engine in play.

And man, for $100 over cost, I might have to consider ESP as well.

I may hit you up for that contact info, but right now ford is offering 72 months at 0% so interest on loan is not an issue.

And while 72/0 is great, it does bring the question of gap insurance into play. Any thought on that?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

I thought I remember Ford Credit including gap coverage when you finance through them. Not sure if that's true, but something to look into.

We have a 16 XLT. I purposely opted NOT to get the moon roof or the safety blind spot alert stuff - more on that later.

Otherwise we'd have the same car. tech pack, remote start, keyless, power liftgate etc etc.

Have update the nav software twice since owning it - easy process.

Issues - absolutely none, knocks on wood. Well OK our radiator fan makes that chirp noise on shutdown like others does - it's not that loud and it's never not run. SO I've opted to leave it alone for now - I don't like our dealer locally. failing that car has been awesome but don't expect the fit and finish of a Bimmer.

second row buckets - no console. great setup so far. we have only 1 2 year old though. considering a second.

why not the roof - didn't want to deal with that much glass on the roof of a car - or future life issues with seals and the like. I found I just about never used the roof anyway on my previous cars so why bother for this. It's really not that useful other than to see out - look to the left or right.

why not the blind spot rubbish - well I know how the system works as I helped integrate it on a different brand - and I prefered having the standard mirror with the blind spot wide angle piece. that goes away with the bliss system and I wanted the mirror. I also wanted to save the money - didn't want the sensors anyway and don't like how the system behaves in heavy rain on a 2 lane road. Just not a fan Also didn't want to get my wife used to having that and it go away one day due to a fault.

then she forgets how to use mirrors. sadly though our next car will end up with it - or worse electronic side view mirrors (cameras)

Otherwise the car is great - transmission is good and putting it in sport mode while unnecessary does sharpen shifting and throttle response. in a FWD, appliance car.

by the way my DD is a v8, 6sp RWD sedan.

Can you PM his contact info?

I just bought a 2017 Explorer Sport and read through other replies so just adding some new perspective.

• BLIS is great. This is a big car and it's harder to notice those little convertibles, because you DO have blindspots.
  • Front camera also handy in case you forget there is a planter or barrier in front of your parking space, because it is indeed more difficult to see what's immediately in front of your car when you first set off. Backing up is a breeze with all the latest tech.
  • 3rd row seats folding seems great on the surface, but in in practice, switching modes only works if you have nothing in your car, so you have juggle luggage management. If you are a packrat, this is going to really bug you unless you just keep the 3rd row permanently up or down.
  • Roof rack has very low weight limits due to center of gravity recommendations -- 45lbs with sunroof, 100lbs without. Almost mindbogglingly low.
  • Don't forget to factor in resale price when considering 2016 vs 2017. What you might save now, will bite you later. Also, not having Sync 3 will hurt resale too. So just get the 17 if you can.
Good luck!

Back