About Unstable Engine RPM and Jerking... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

About Unstable Engine RPM and Jerking...

explorer1007

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 explorer
so the past 2 months I have been experiencing unstable engine RPM when Im driving around 35~45 mph. The needle jerks up about 200 rpm every 2 secs or so. At one time, my car couldnt even be driven because when I press down the gas pedal...the engine rpm drops down, black smoke came out of the exhaust, really stinky. Car was towed to dealership, they test drove it, they couldnt find anything. They returned it to me after 2 days of test drive and the black smoke is gone...they said the electrical system probably reset itself over night...The check engine light is on but there's no code to be pulled.
When the engine does that mini reving..the car jerks a little bit..quite annoying..I just wondering if anyone has any input to this? Maybe dirty spark plugs? transmission?
car is about 77k... Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year / engine ?

Fuel filter interval was at 30K miles, wonder if this could be a problem....

ok thanks, i guess i will ask them about fuel filter change..is it easy to do myself?

Not sure, but I had is done at 40K miles by dealer, it was cheap.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MINE IS A 2008 V8 3V DIFFERENCE TO LEAVE ME A NOTICE OF rsc service

and tell them that you changed the bulias.bomba of gasoline, fuel filter and air injectors and I am fine for 100k and then again black smoke ..... if anyone can help thanks in advance
PD on the ford of Venezuela do not know because the scanner does not throw codes

Back