Ac blowing out defrost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ac blowing out defrost

Reaction score
City, State
York PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
I notice that the ac switches back and forth from vents to defrost. Been trying to figure out whether it's a vacuum problem or an electrical one. It's an 01 sport trac.
I been trying to find a good vacuum diagram also.
Any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a leaking/broken vacuum line. When you loose vacuum the defroster vents are the default setting for the HVAC directional controls.

Most all the HVAC controls work off vacuum. Begin by checking the lines going to and coming from the vacuum reserve ball, which is located in front of the passenger side front wheel, behind the plastic inner fender liner. Follow the lines where ever they go to find your leak.

Thanks. I will try to locate it and check. Will try to repost if I find the problem there.

can this also cause some of the lean code 0171/0714 to activate the cel. been battling that issue also. just changed the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets this weekend, code came back. i was running the ac on max

can this also cause some of the lean code 0171/0714 to activate the cel. been battling that issue also. just changed the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets this weekend, code came back. i was running the ac on max

Yes, a vacuum leak can definitely cause P0171/P0174 DTC's. It doesn't matter whether your A/C is on or not, but the fact that your HVAC blows out the defrost vents is related.

Back