AC Clutch disengaging eventhough the compressor is working well | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC Clutch disengaging eventhough the compressor is working well

siljopalatty

Reaction score
City, State
Jubail
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 201
I have an issue with the AC of my Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 2010 model.
When I start the AC (max) everything works normal.

After a couple of minutes the clutch gets disengaged (whether the car is running or stopped).
If the car is not running the vibration can be felt when the clutch tries to re-engage after a couple of minutes. it tries a couple of times. sometimes suceed and sometimes not..
But if the car is running in the highway, after ~5-6 minutes the ac starts working normally. Then even if I take a stoppage (with ac switch ON), the ac will be working fine.

I would appretitate if anyone has a solution for this issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like its low on Refrigerant

Check for compressor clutch connector broken or loose / shortened on the engine harness (spare connector could be found on rockauto electric section)

Go thru the whole clutch wire path all the way from the compressor to the PCM plus check wire resistance

Check for compressor clutch connector broken or loose / shortened on the engine harness (spare connector could be found on rockauto electric section)

Go thru the whole clutch wire path all the way from the compressor to the PCM plus check wire resistance
I have checked the cable and the connector on the clutch coil and seems fine. The resistance measurement i did not do. I will check it when i have an opportunity.

Back