AC Compressor Clutch Question

dmasini

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Have the chance to buy a new AC compressor for a good price but it comes without a clutch. How hard is it to take the clutch/pulley assembly off of the old compressor I'm removing and put it on the new compressor?

I'm hoping it's as easy as one bolt in the center but I have a feeling it's not. All help is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need a special tool to hold the pulley while you remove that center nut.... you can rent it at autozone. It's not my most fun job, but with that tool it isn't that bad. You should be ok on the air gap if you are just switching it over - in other words it should be an remove and install process without adjustments.

Are you sure the old clutch is good?

marragtop said:
Are you sure the old clutch is good?

Well after reading up on the compressor/clutch assembly worked and the problems they could have, I figured out that it actually could be the clutch assembly that's bad. So I did some more searching and found a rebuilt compressor and clutch with 5 year warrenty for $10 more than the brand new one w/o the clutch. So I ordered it.

So this thing's pretty simple to put on right? Remove the serpentine belt, undo the plug, unbolt the old compressor and bolt the new one back on right? I have a Hayne's manual just haven't read the steps yet...

You need to remove the AC lines from the compressor as well. I don't think the Haynes manual will say anything about the replacement. From what I've seen they generally don't have anything on AC maintenance due to the potential of someone hurting themself when doing AC repairs.

marragtop said:
You need to remove the AC lines from the compressor as well. I don't think the Haynes manual will say anything about the replacement. From what I've seen they generally don't have anything on AC maintenance due to the potential of someone hurting themself when doing AC repairs.

Figures. I've found Hayne's is good for taking out the center console and that's about it. :rolleyes:

So how hard is it to get the AC lines off? They aren't weilded or anything are they? I haven't found anything in the search that really gives a step-by-step. So when I do this I'll be documenting it.

The lines connect to a manifold which in turns bolts onto the compressor. Here's a thread on a 1st Gen, showing this on that version. The hookup may vary slightly, but this will give you the idea.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138710

With a new compressor you will need to add oil (PAG most likely) to the compressor, try not to get it on your skin, some people are pretty sensitive to it....you should consider changing the accumulator as well.... I'd even consider checking the condition of the orifice tube....and depending on what I found flushing the system. Also make sure you properly evacuate the new system too prior to your recharge.

Back