AC Compressor Will Not Run

bobflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Powder Springs, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
97 Explorer; 5.0L 2WD; 260K miles. AC was fine, then suddenly stopped cooling one day. Put system on Max AC; compressor does not start.

I have done some troubleshooting already. Cheepo gauge on low side port shows about 80-90 PSI with compressor not running. I have jumpered the AC Cyling switch and High Pressure switch and get over 10V at input to WOT relay - then weather/dead battery stopped testing. So I replaced WOT Relay; still no good voltage at compressor plug. Direct 12V and ground from battery to compressor solenoid inputs (engine off) results in clicks, so sounds like soleinoid would operate if activated by circuit.

Schematic shows a diode in parallel with the solenoid - looks like it is integrated within clutch with solenoid - is that correct?? If not, where is it? And could it be causing problem?

To do next:
- I have charged battery; plan to start vehicle and see if compressor still not starting. Some of my previous testing may be NG because battery was dying.
- Plan to jumper WOT relay and check voltage at compressor plug.
- Plan to test ground at compressor plug; my previous test when solenid clicked I had connected ground direct from battery.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm an OK DIY guy, but not a lot of experience with AC systems. Thanks in advance for your help.

Back