• Register Today It's free!

AC cool not cold

Greg_guy

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Hi there. My 2002 explorer blows cool air even when set to MAX AC, and temp dial set to cold. Can I just add a can of AC Coolant you get a Kmart?

Thanks for the info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '03 barely even blows what you might call "cool" air, even tho I bought it last summer on the condition the dealer fix the AC. I thought it was fixed but apparently not.

Do you have the rear air also? This is a know area for problems with leaking. Mine was fixed once under warranty and I had to have it recharged last spring (a pressure test was conducted and no leak found). Unfortunately, I have to take it in again to be looked at as it isn't blowing cold or even cool air.

When the repair was originally done under warranty, the leak was behind the rear passenger side door.

how cold is cool

Yes, I have rear air and it took 30 min. of driving before the temp in the explorer was even bearable. On hot days I will drive for a couple of blocks to get all the hot air out, then close the windows and turn the AC to max and wait for it to get to a bearable temp. After that I will change to the vents that I want to use.

I just want to know will I damage anything by adding a can of coolant? Can you have to much?

On my fathers Lincoln the air that comes out of the vents is so cold the windshield will frost.

Thanks for your help.

Don't add anything unless the system is low. You can get a whole system that will check the pressure and also have a can of coolant if you need it for really cheap at any auto parts place. If the system is low, you can add a can to the proper level, but it will only be a temporary fix. There is a leak somewhere if it is low, and it will leak out again

Added a tall can of A134A this weekend, all fixed!

So cold you have to wear mittens.

Thanks For all your help.

Greg_guy, was it a DIY job? Any special tools required?

Greg_guy, or anybody else, my 2002 Explorer is having the same issue (except at this point the A/C is barely working). What kind of "tall can" did you add? Did you get it online or at a local auto parts store?

I bought a can of stuff at a local Napa. Does anybody know where the fill adapter is in the engine compartment?

Thanks!

Black cap pass side next to the radiator and is part of the accumulator (big silver can with lines going in and out)

I've needed to add 3 cans since the beginning of the summer (and based on the gauge on the can, the system was low every time I added). Obviously there's a leak in the AC system somewhere. Anybody know how to find and fix the leak?

Thanks!

Add some green UV dye to the system, and use a special UV light. A/C system O rings are green, so don't use the standard black O rings. You will need a special tool to unlock the spring loaded snap lock couplings.

trick i found with the UV light, do it at night. Look very carefully at all fittings you should see it stand out. Also check the Condenser and Vents these are hard to see but you may see the dye if there is any leak.
On a side note my '96jeep 140k, AC leaked, bad. To diagnose it shops wanted more than the truck was worth. Try using a can with a sealant. Took two cans but it seems to have stopped it. Mine would always hold a vacuum but leak in 1-2 weeks, the high pressure (high side +200psi) is what made it leak around the rear seal of the compressor. Being what it is I don’t expect it to last the winter.

2 of the 3 cans I used had sealant, and they seemed to last shorter than the other can of pure refrigerant I used last. Maybe it's holding better at this point. How do you add UV die to the system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back