AC Fan works intermittently. HELP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC Fan works intermittently. HELP!!!

newts96xplr

Reaction score
City, State
Thousand Oaks, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ironman Edition V6
Okay,

Here is the problem. I have a 96 X with manual controls and my ac fan works intermittenly (whenever the hell it wants). I have read many posts here about similar issues related to the resistor, relay & blower motor.

I have systematically replaced the following ONE BY ONE and tested the system each time for several days to see if the problem was fixed.

1. Replaced all 3 control knobs (fan speed, temp & ac knob). NOT FIXED
2. Replaced the blower motor resistor. NOT FIXED
3. Replaced the relay. NOT FIXED.
4. Blend door checked and works fine.

The weird thing is that my rear AC controls work PERFECT all the time, the AC blows and blows cold air no problem (and hot air if I want.

The front however, DOES blow cold AC air when the ac control knob is on "AC" mode, so it is blowing air from the outside (the air is ice cold), but I have no control in the fan speed. When the control know is turned to "MAX AC" i get NOTHING, even if the fan speed know is on the high speed. When I have it on vent and I adjust the temp know I can get either cool or hot vent air.

Please help. My dealer wants minimum $250 to look at it. I can do most of the work myself, but I do not know where else to go from here, because sometimes the fan comes on while driving and all works fine, no problem. I don't think that it is the blower motor as when it works it works fine.

Thanks,
:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly the blower motor is on it's way out?

Yup. It looks that way. So last night after tinkering with everything and no luck I decided to go extreme. I took out a rubber mallet and gave the motor a "tap" while the car was running and the ac on... Well VOILA it works!!!!! It looks like the motor is going or the gear inside needs lubricating. it looks like I will be on my was to Autozone for a new blower motor tonight...

Ok mine did this on my 91.

Check the wiring that goes to the relay. Mine had one that was not getting the best connection and it would work and then now work. Depending on what road conditions you hit.

It does sound like a dodgy switch, I would be inclined to remove all the switchgear and clean with contact cleaner- available from Radio shack or similar places.
YOu have done all the rest- its the only thing left to do and I would bet it fixes it.
Car electrics are funny- my brake lights all went out at the same time- I checked the bulbs all fine- I cleaned all the contacts in the holders and the bulb contacts.....Fixed!
The moisture and dust is most likely crapping out the switches.

Back