• Register Today It's free!

Active Grill Shutters

Adam808

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Can the active active grill shutters be removed without causing a check engine light? Could I just cut or remove the actual shutter and leave the motor/housing so no failure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can the active active grill shutters be removed without causing a check engine light? Could I just cut or remove the actual shutter and leave the motor/housing so no failure?
Just curious, why would you want to do this?

Just curious, why would you want to do this?
I want to install hideaway lights and siren. It appears this install will be difficult with the shutters there.

Welcome to the Forum Adam.:wave:
Is this on your 2014 Explorer? If so, you are in the wrong forum. Let me know and I can move it.

Peter

I do have a 2014 Sport. But I’m asking about a 2020 ST. I might buy one.

Thanks. The shutters have a purpose. Active Grille Shutters: Upper and lower fascia openings close at highway speeds to reduce drag. At low speeds, the shutters open to deliver airflow to cool the powertrain. I don't see the first part as affecting the vehicle warranty in any way, but the second part might if you remove them and then have an issue with the powertrain that is traced back to the removal of the shutters.

Peter

Yes I did that I removed 4 rows out of 6

Are the shutters on all 2020 explorers, or just the ST

All

I didn't know the Explorers have active grill shutters. Seems like a good idea

Back