Add a leaf's | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Add a leaf's

Blocks lift the axle off the leaves, or essentially lower the truck from the axle. Add a leafs don't just add leaf width, they add arch. This arch pushes the frame of the truck up away from the axle. The aal is not just a spacer. I got 1" from my rear aal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had gotten about 1.25" from my aal and have 50k on them, so may be about time to replace with fresh ones. Cost about $32 when i got them.

my 2 cents......

As everyone else said, an add-a-leaf is not installed as a spacer! It is installed to change the arch which pushes the entire vehicle up (which more than offsets the thickness of the leaf).

Where are ya'll getting your AALs? I never seem to run into them anywhere on the net. I'm putting leaf springs from a 4 door and shakles this weekend (if the shakels show up from mail order) and all this talk about AAL has got me thinking I might as well do this if I'm gonna have all that crap off anyhow.

summit racing!

part # EXP-13120

ProComp single aal from 4wheelparts, $27.

Well, that's a lot cheaper than I thought. Just picked up my leaf packs off a 2000 4 door Explorer w/800 miles on it. I'll post the results with that + the shakels when I installe them (still waiting on them to arrive) And if it isn't enough lift, I guess at 27 bucks, aal wouldn't hurt.

Confusion blocks vs add a leaves

I could be wrong, but I think all the confusion over the add a leaf discussion is because of the placement of the leaves. The blocks lower by being put over the stock leaf and under the axle, lowering the leaf. The add a leaf is put under the stock leaf, not on top as the block is. This keeps the stock leaf in the same position as stock relative to the axle, and adds support and arch to the leaves from the underneath, raising the truck.

There are some stock blocks on my 95 between the stock leaf and the axle. I've been thinking of removing them to get some extra height and also to give the shocks a little more downward travel. Anyone done this?
Rick

Removing those spacers wouldn't give you any lift since the axle is resting on top of the monoleaf. If you're looking for more flex and maybe a little more lift, you can do what I did this afternoon and replace the monoleaf with a spring pack from a 4 door. I got one out of a 2000 4 door explorer w/ 800 miles on it. It along with some new shakles gave me 2.25" of lift in the back. The only problem I had was the fact that when unloaded, they hang down a whole lot more (good for flex) but after I put the U-bolts and lower shock mount back on, my shocks couldn't reach the mount. So to correct this, I turned the shock mount upside down so the mout curved up instead of down. In order for this to work, I had to notch out part it so it would sit flush with the bottom of the leaf springs, then I had to notch out the inner part of the mount that attaches to the shock (I should have taken pictures).

Rick, you mean like this?

Dead Link Removed

Have any Sport owners swapped their monoleaf with the 2001/02 Sport two-stage leaf springs?

I am going to swap my sagging springs out back with either a 4 door pack or the new Sport pack, and take out some spacers as I have the Warrior shackles. I just wanted to get some info on whether it is possible/difficult/not worth it.

Ford Parts Network said Genuine Ford 02 explorer sport rear leaf spring $ 69.99 ea.+ freight.

Stupid Question

Yes Robert thanks!
Matt, you are right. It has been a while since I have crawled under the X. I was thinking that the blocks were over the leaf, when in fact they are under so as Robert pointed out in the other post, they will help give the shock back some length that was lost with the shackles, but add no lift.
I've been wondering how tough the center bolt was to get out...

I like the 02 leaf spring idea. Anyone know off the top of their head if the 02 X is heavier in weight than the 95?
I really wanted to go with used 4 door leaves, but a brand new set would be nicer and the price is right!

Thanks guys!
Rick

If I knew FPN was selling them for 140 for the set, I would have gone though them, instead I paid 150 for a used set (800 miles) off a 2000 4 door. Oh well, at least I got the instant gratification instead of waiting on the UPS guy to show up.

Ok, I took a pic of the above decription where I reversed the shock mount:
1808shock_reverse.jpg

Back