Adding adjustable pedals to a '15 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding adjustable pedals to a '15 XLT?

ProjectSHO89

Reaction score
City, State
Robertsville MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Has anyone looked into this? I couldn't find anything prior on the forum so, if someone knows if this has been discussed, kindly point me towards that discussion. BTW, the forum's SEARCH function, to put it politely is "sub-optimal"....

My wife, at 5'2", finds it hard to comfortably reach the pedals and asked me to see if this upgrade can be done.

So, here's my list of what I've found and what I have questions about:

1. From poking around in the manuals, it appears that for manual adjustable pedals, I'd need the pedal module and the control switch that plugs into the SCCM for certain.
2. Don't know if the SCCM is a different part number or if it would require programming (Forscan available) to tell it there's a adjustable module present.
3. Don't know if the wiring is present for the adjust motor or not, I'll have to look later.
4. Different column shroud?

Any insight would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wanted to bump this back up to see if new eyes might have new information.

My wife is having worsening issues with her back that has made driving the Explorer even more difficult for her so I've embarked on starting this project from scratch. I've already got a salvaged power pedal assembly out of another '15 on hand (eBay, $60!) and a control switch is on order from Tasca. I have determined that I will need a different lower shroud or I will have to Dremel the current one out.

I've pulled the service manual procedure for replacing the power pedal assembly and it's pretty extensive as it involves complete removal of the steering column. I haven't opened up anything yet on the vehicle so I've still got some investigating to do regarding wiring harness and SCCM questions.

Any input would be appreciated! Otherwise, I'll see if I can document the procedure for future owners.

I would say that no one has done this modification as there are no posts/threads on the topic. A couple members did have issues with theirs but only one reported a resolution which was to replace a faulty Driver Side Control Module part # GU5Z-14C708-G. That was on a 2016 Limited. Is that also a part that you have on the list or will need?

Peter

No it's not on my list. I'm only going as far as doing the manual adjustment of the pedals. The driver's side seat memory module is only needed for the top trim/option level feature with the memory for the seats mirrors, pedal, and column.

Did some poking around under the dash yesterday after studying the schematics and diagrams and reached a few conclusions:

If I want it to be completely factory, I'd need the following: replacement SCCM with switch, shrouds, different column/underdash wiring harness, and, of course the adjustable pedal module. Yeah, not going to do all that. The odds of find the exactly correct parts via salvage are minimal and the cost would be unknown. Buying "new" parts from Ford is cost prohibitive, it would almost be less expensive to either get a different car or a different wife (with longer legs).

However, I have devised a plan to do it "manually" (hah!) and I'll only need the switch, shroud, a couple of relays, some wiring, and, of course the adjustable pedal module which I already scored off eBay for $60. Have the switch on order from Tasca, still need to locate/purchase the column shroud with the correct cutout should I not be able to Dremel out the orignal in a way that doesn't look nasty.

Replacing the pedal assembly looks to be quite the PITA since it requires the steering column to be removed.

I'll check back in later once I do some more on the project. Need to get my hands on the switch first.

Back