• Register Today It's free!

Adding rain sensing wipers??

Dan17ExpLtd

Reaction score
City, State
Millersville, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
Has anyone done this as a retrofit project? It seems like it should just be the rain sensor, swapping the stalk out, some wiring, that may be a bit of a PITA, and some programming. Or am I (contrary to my normal MO) over simplifying?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Dan. You will also have to probably change out the interior rear view mirror as the sensor is located in the base of it. To my knowledge, this retrofit has not been carried out by any member here.

Peter

Researching this now. What got me into an Explorer to begin with was renting an Expedition over the MLK holiday weekend. I started shopping for an Expedition the following week but they are a little bigger than I really need and a few grand more than I wanted to spend. I found the Explorer and it had all of the options that matter to me (the 3.5 ecoboost would have been nice but eh...) except for the auto wipers. Trying to figure out if I can fix that without too much fuss or if I need to just live with it.

The automatic wipers are overrated.

I think the glass is also different, but can't verify for certain. It may just be "different" by the black imprint to hide the sensor's internals.

The automatic wipers are overrated.

I think the glass is also different, but can't verify for certain. It may just be "different" by the black imprint to hide the sensor's internals.

I've had the rain sensing wipers, and yes, you are right...very overrated. Depending on the amount of rain, sometimes they work great, other times they don't. I find myself fiddling with them more than I do intermittent wipers. Those I generally just set to a certain speed and forget about them. I'd never attempt to retrofit a vehicle that doesn't have the factory installed rain sensing wipers.

It's actually one feature I like and rarely have had to intervene in their operation. The features I have turned off are the auto high beams and Easy Exit/Entrance.

Peter

I turned off my rain sensing wipers. They're not consistent.

As did I, growing up in Seattle I am all too experienced in "wiper usage" and my use and the auto, just didn't mix. Now in AZ - we don't get to use them much but I hate the high speed wipers that auto wanted to use when we did get some of our summer monsoon rains.

I turned off my rain sensing wipers. They're not consistent.

Isn't that the point? :p I get what you were saying.

Here in Maryland they have worked well for me on other vehicles. A lot of our rain changes from minute to minute. I ran into some rain when I had the Expedition and they worked so I figured I'd check this out. Trying to make this work will kick off for real when I am done with the audio system upgrades.

Dan I have a 15 Sport ( couple yrs old now) Down sized from Expedition limited with rain and speed sensing wipers. I was disappointed to find out the sport didnt have it but I wanted the motor on the Sport and suspension so... I put same question out as you did . I even bought the switch and control. I need to figure out the windshield but I was told there is something built into glass soo I am anxious to see what you learn.. My windshield has a stone chip and needs replace but havent done it yet. Keep us posted on your project.

Dan I have a 15 Sport ( couple yrs old now) Down sized from Expedition limited with rain and speed sensing wipers. I was disappointed to find out the sport didnt have it but I wanted the motor on the Sport and suspension so... I put same question out as you did . I even bought the switch and control. I need to figure out the windshield but I was told there is something built into glass soo I am anxious to see what you learn.. My windshield has a stone chip and needs replace but havent done it yet. Keep us posted on your project.
There is nothing built into the glass. The senor is contained in that large plastic mount that holds the rearview mirror and attached to the windshield.

Peter

Thanks Peter.thats good to know as . I thought someone told me the sensors were in the glass to check for the impedance change in the surface. I didnt want to change my glass even though I have a chip which I think they can actually fix

There is nothing built into the glass. The senor is contained in that large plastic mount that holds the rearview mirror and attached to the windshield.

Peter
FYI there is different glass for with and without sensor.
upload_2018-3-28_21-3-4.png

FYI there is different glass for with and without sensor.
View attachment 157136
That may have to do with the shading dots that are embedded in the glass. If the mount is smaller than the shading area would have to correspond that. The only time my wipers came on was when I sprayed water directly over the mirror mount portion of the windshield. Spraying water on any other part of the glass only resulted in the windshield getting wet. How Windshield Wipers Work

Peter

Personally I don't think it's worth the trouble and $. I have them on my Ram and Sport and not impressed with it all.

Peter
There are generally two types of mounts for rain sensors - preapplied lenses or pad mounted (user installed) lens/sensor. The last MB windshield I had replaced had a pre-applied lens.

I generally prefer vehicles without rain sensing wipers - some work better than others, but they all seem to suffer from occasional ghost wipes and other issues with light rains until the drops hit the sensor. I prefer to control the wipers myself or use a water repellent on the windshield.

I agree with you guys that they are a bit unpredictable. I had them on my Expedition and did like them but honestly depending on the work required my have to agree with Peter - not worth the effort. parts are cheap enough but its the labor and programming and overall effort involved.

The only time I adjust mine is when I have a layer of water on the windshield from a morning dew. Then it just takes any kind of adjustment to get a swipe to remove the dew. After that it will continue to swipe each time the dew comes back.The ghost wipes are more of a nuisance than an issue. Overall I like mine.
At first I did adjust mine several times to find a "sweet spot" for me.

The only time I adjust mine is when I have a layer of water on the windshield from a morning dew.....
Why not just flick the right hand stalk down? Provides a quick wipe.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back