masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
Hello all - first post here...

Got my 2000 Sport about a month ago, still trying to sort things out with it. The front of the vehicle looks a little taller than the rear and I found the torsion bar tension adjustment that raises/lowers the ride height...

My question is, is there anything I should be aware of before lowering the front's ride height an inch or so?

Thanks
-J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

J just reverce this process

1 can Liquid Wrench (or any penetrating oil)
1 Jack and Jackstands
1 Socket Wrench 13mm
1 Measuring Tape

1. With the truck level, measure the distance from the center of the wheelwell lip to the top center of your wheel on each side. Mark the distance for each side, it will be important for two reasons. First you want to ensure that both sides are level when you're done, and second you want to limit the lift to no more than 2" from stock. (Any higher will cause stress to your CV joints, resulting in accelerated wear and possibly failure)

2. Now jack up the front end and secure on jackstands to take the pressure off the torsion bars. Slide underneath and find the two adjuster bolts located near the back of both torsion bars (towards the rear of the truck) and spray liberally with some Liquid Wrench. Let it soak in for 10 mins. to free up the bolts. Using the socket wrench, tighten up the bolts until they are almost to the end of their travel. This will torque up the torsion bars, causing them to lift the front end higher. Now lower the front end and take the same measurements as you did before you began, to determine the lift gained. Repeat the tightening/loosening of the bolts until both sides are level and lift gained is no more than 2".

3. Take the truck out for a 10 minute drive. This will cause the torsion bars to "settle" and will most likely give you 1.5-1.75" of final lift, which is ideally where you want to be. The rear can be lifted using either extended shackles (limited lift) or by adding an add-a-leaf (full length recommended). After the rear is lifted and you're content with the new height, be sure to take your vehicle to get an alignment, as you may have altered it after the torsion bar lift. The combination of torsion bar lift and add-a-leaf does firm up the ride, but in my opinion improves it and in no way degrades it. The Explorer is already a soft riding suspension, and after the lift body roll and nose dive is almost entirely eliminated. So much so that I will be removing the rear swaybar in order to improve articulation (wheel travel).

It’s readily accepted that the late model Explorers will fit 31x10.5/15 tires at stock height, as my ’96 did. I only experienced slight rubbing in the rear, and only during full compression while off-roading. After the 2” lift front and 2.5” lift in the rear I have yet to experience any rubbing at all, even when putting the suspension to it’s limits. I’m confidant that 32s could be easily fit after the lift, but I’m looking at a set of 33x10.5/15 tires to replace my 31s, once they are worn down, which will give me the height I desire, without the worry of rubbing from having too wide a tire.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Couple questions though...

1) Will lowering cause the suspension to be softer? If it does what can I do about it?

2) Will lowering cause any unsafe changes in suspension geometry that I am not aware of, or anything else unsafe?

Again i'm only wanting to lower about an inch, maybe a small amount more just because the front is higher than the rear, and would rather a lower-riding vehicle if possible.

-J

you'll be fine on accounts of geometry and any safety concerns- you will slightly increase wear.

1) Will lowering cause the suspension to be softer? If it does what can I do about it?

2) Will lowering cause any unsafe changes in suspension geometry that I am not aware of, or anything else unsafe?-

Possible decline in ride quality.

Definately get an alignment.

Also you can lower if without jacking it up, just don't do the opposite!

Have you thought about raising the rear. I had my rear springs rearched for aroung $35. It sits higher in the rear and rides great now. I also added a leaf in the rear from summi and it helped also.

Have you thought about raising the rear. I had my rear springs rearched for aroung $35. It sits higher in the rear and rides great now. I also added a leaf in the rear from summi and it helped also.

the rear only sags a little, if at all...it seems most explorers are like this, I just think it looks a lot better slightly lower in the front. I really would like better ride quality though, its super soft right now...would new (good) shocks stiffen it up, or will I need new springs or something?

New shocks made a world of differance of my '96. If you TT the front you'll want the rear to match. Just my 2 cents.

Shocks would be a plus. Helper springs on the rear would help to and give a litle higher tow capacity. I like to raise the rear instead of lower the front. To much in the front has to be adjusted afterwards. Plus have to be careful not to throw angle on the u joints off. This is just my 2 cents also. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Back