Advice on towing this weight? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice on towing this weight?

97 AWD, 5.0, 4-door XLT
My trucks rated at between 5000 to 6000 pounds tow capacity.

I'm thinking of picking up a travel trailer that’s 4,300 pounds. Is this pushing the limit a bit and is there anyone out there with experience towing this weight on a similar vehicle?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4,300 lbs on a vehicle rated for 6,000 isn't pushing it at all.

Especially with the 5.0 V8.

As far as towing, just make sure you're using a Class III hitch (not the bumper), and the hitch, ball, and pin are rated well over the trailer weight.

The only other considerations for towing is that you have the right wiring harness or adapter for the lights, and a good safety chain setup.

Some other tips are making sure the tires are properly inflated, your tranny fluid is good (fresh fluid is better for when the tranny gets hot from the towing load), and be sure that overdrive is off, even when towing on the highway. Keep to a safe and reasonable speed and just watch your turns and it should tow just fine.

Great advice!

Thanks

a trailer that weight should have surge or electric brakes. If it has surge brakes, make sure they work and make sure you have the proper knowlege and tools to release it when backing up. If it has electric brakes, spend the $60 and get the proper trailer brake controller.

The issue isn't pulling heavy trailers, it's stopping them. No lie, I had a well set up boat trailer and total weight was 13,000 lbs but it had a quad axle trailer with brakes on all axles and it stopped my truck better than with no trailer at all.

How's the hitch coming along?

Here's a little proof... 3400# trailer (empty).
7 ft. wide by 16 ft. long x 8 ft. internal height.
(reading the specs... frontal area is 56 sq. ft. (slightly more than the owner manual @ 50 sq. ft.)

Drove it home from Dayton, Ohio to Harrisburg, PA... 450 miles.
O/D switch off, 2500-3000 rpms @ 60-65 mph, MPG 10-11

The truck did its job... only because I did the necessary work on my end over the past six months prepping for this rig. (Class IV hitch, brake controller, WDH, new rotors/pads, serp belt, idler, tensioner and tires, LOF with Z-max)

picture.php

Another thing is a Trans Temp gauge :thumbsup: it helps

What is:

WDH, serp belt, idler, tensioner, LOF with Z-max?

What is:

WDH, serp belt, idler, tensioner, LOF with Z-max?

WDH = Weight Distribution Hitch
serp belt = Serpentine (accessory pulley driven) belt AKA fan belt
idler and tensioner = are the secondary pullies involved with the fan belt
LOF with Z-max = Lube oil, and filter change with a recommended fuel/oil additive (Z-max)

Those changes just to have the engine run a little easier under a heavy load (preventive maintenance).

since you all tow with your explorer, you may know:

I have a 2002 explorer 4X4 V8 w/tow package. I pull a 24' camper with it (camper wt is 6200 lbs, 1100 lbs under the mfg towing weight limit for my explorer) with a weight distributing hitch. I hear and feel a growling noise from the front end (I think) when towing the camper. It is only noticeable when accelerating, usually over 45 mph, and gets worse when adding any amount of steering input.

I have searched and searched on here, but all threads point to bearings. But the truck does not make the noise when there is no load on it.
Only slightly sometimes under heavy acceleration.

Now that I've written a novel of background:

Could it really be that it is just a 'feature' of the tow package? I read in another thread that this may be the front wheels locking in, as if a limited slip, trying to give me extra traction. This is the first mention of this I have heard. Seems too good to be true. I keep invinsioning a front wheel falling off as I am driving to a camp ground on the other side of the state!

But I was also towing with OD on, I will not do that anymore!

I don't think 11,000 is your tow max??? I think I max out at 6k.

Could it really be that it is just a 'feature' of the tow package? I read in another thread that this may be the front wheels locking in, as if a limited slip, trying to give me extra traction. This is the first mention of this I have heard. Seems too good to be true. I keep invinsioning a front wheel falling off as I am driving to a camp ground on the other side of the state!

Even with the tow package, you do not have a limited-slip front diff... we have an LS rear end, but our fronts are still open.

Not 11000. The mfg specs in my manual and online say the max trailer weight is 7300 lbs, and the weight of the camper is 6200 lbs, so I should have 1100 lbs left over. And I always pull the camper with empty tanks, so there's no extra water weight on board.

I am going to have my transmission fluid changed too and see if that helps. I bought the explorer 2 1/2 years ago used, so I don't know if it's ever been changed. Plus I want them to put in synthetic to see if it helps.

Back