How to: - AFE Bias - How to correct your MPG readout/display | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: AFE Bias - How to correct your MPG readout/display

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

15Limited

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Sport 4x4
My search on this Forum provided no threads/results, so...

Most of us have discovered the MPG displayed in our vehicle’s instrument cluster may be a few Miles Per Gallon off from our real-world hand calculated results...but you can make a simple change to correct this. The procedure below works on my 2018 Explorer, but should work on other MY’s as long as you can access the ET display in your instrument cluster (see below).

First, some math is involved...take your hand calculated MPG and divide it by the displayed MPG.

I hand calculated 16.6 mpg, and my display showed 17.5...so, 16.6 divided by 17.5 = .949 (I rounded up)...you will need this 949 number (ignore the decimal point) in the next step.

Second, enter Engineering Test (ET) mode on your Explorer;

Press and hold the left “OK” button on your steering wheel, start your vehicle, continue holding the OK button until Engineering Test is displayed on left side of your instrument cluster...then release OK button.

Use the left up/down arrows to scroll thru the Engineer data until you see the “AFE bias: 1000” screen...use the left/right arrows to adjust the bias from 1000 to the number you calculated above...in my example I toggled the right arrow to decrease AFE Bias to 949.

Shut off your vehicle...this exits ET mode and saves your inputs.

The next time you startup your Explorer, look at the displayed MPG...you should be very close to your hand calculated numbers in a tank or two...or for most, almost immediately.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup: I tried that and set mine to 925. Average L/100km jumped from the previously displayed 16.9 to 18.1. The only thing different that I had to do was to press 'OK' after changing the numbers. When I just shut the vehicle OFF, everything returned to what it initially was.
Now to get the digital display to match the correct analog speedo would be nice. I forgot to check at the time if there was a setting for that.

Peter

:thumbsup: I tried that and set mine to 925. Average L/100km jumped from the previously displayed 16.9 to 18.1. The only thing different that I had to do was to press 'OK' after changing the numbers. When I just shut the vehicle OFF, everything returned to what it initially was.
Now to get the digital display to match the correct analog speedo would be nice. I forgot to check at the time if there was a setting for that.

Peter
If you enter a number less than 1000, wouldn't that cause your displayed average to drop? Because you're dividing your lower, manually computed MPG by the higher displayed one, that gives you the bias factor in the 900 range, similar to @15Limited's example.

It would if you were talking MPG but not when your using L/100km. L/100Km is equivalent to GPM.:)

Peter

How long after starting do you continue to hold the OK button?
I tried this on my '14 Sport, but didn't get the Engineering Test to display after about 5-10 seconds of holding the button after starting.
Yes, I was holding the button when I started the vehicle.

Maybe not accessible on my year?

I tried this on my '14 Sport, but didn't get the Engineering Test to display after about 5-10 seconds of holding the button after starting.

I’m not sure on your year...if it doesn’t come up in 20 seconds, then it’s probably a different way to access ET

Engineering test mode has been posted about on other Ford forums for ~5 years or more.

Below are the 2 procedures for F150 depending on key or push button start. I never saw instructions that said to hold the OK button and start the vehicle like OP indicated, so maybe that is why it didn't work for you. I have always followed the below instructions and they worked on all 2014-2017 Fords I have tried them on (Fusion/Escape/Taurus/Explorer at least).

For XLT 4.2 inch Display:
Engine off. Press and hold OK Button on the left side of the steering Wheel. Turn the ignition on Accessory mode only. Do not turn The Engine on. Hold for about 5 sec until "Engineering Test Mode" appears. Turn the Engine on and go through the menu pressing and releasing OK Button. When "AFE Bias 1000" appears press and release Down. Using Left and Right change 1000 to the Number You calculated. Press OK. Actually the steps how to correct the Numbers appears on the screen once You reach AFE Bias. To leave Engineering Mode after You are done just turn the engine off.

For Lariat and up 8 inch Display:
Engine off. Press and hold OK Button on the left side of the steering Wheel. Press push start Button only (Not Brake Pedal) to turn to Accessory Mode. Once Message “Accessory Mode” appears press the Brake Pedal and turn the Engine on. Engineering Test Mode appears instantly. Release OK Button immediately. Then the same Procedure like XLT.

It takes mine about 5 seconds to come up. One thing I found out is that it won't come up unless the doors are closed.

Peter

First fill up since I carried out the correction in this thread and the difference between the dash readout and actual varied by only 0.1 L/100km. Prior to that it was off by about 1.1 L/100km. Thanks again for the tip 15Limited.:thumbsup:

Peter

Glad I could help

It's not working on mine either. I can get one with the right OK button, but it doesn't allow any changes. With the left button, literally nothing happens, and I haven't been able to find anything on another way to do it.

I need to try this on mine. I'm regularly about 1-1.5 mpg less than what the car thinks.

Once I adjusted it, it'll be within 2%. The use of E85 blending can really mess with it though because the density of E85 blending is different. My 2018 XLT instrument cluster shows the amount of fuel used, which is never accurate regardless of any adjustments for the AFE bias.

I was able to change the AFE bias on my '21 Platinum V6. Lowered it from 1000 to 975. I'll check the actual mileage the next few tanks.
To access the Engineering Test on my vehicle I held down the OK button on the steering wheel, pressed the engine START button, then applied the brake so that the engine started. Once the engine started I continued to hold down the OK button on the steering wheel for about 7 seconds and the ET Engineering Test screen appeared.

You shouldn't have to start the engine. Just hold the OK button and turn on the ignition and keep holding until the ET screen appears. Unless they changed it for 2020up

You shouldn't have to start the engine. Just hold the OK button and turn on the ignition and keep holding until the ET screen appears. Unless they changed it for 2020up
Yes, you are correct, tried the sequence without starting the engine and ET screen displayed, Thanks for the tip.

I have a '14 base Ex and my MPG hasn't changed in 9 years. It has always been 21.8MPG. What is up with that?

I have a '14 base Ex and my MPG hasn't changed in 9 years. It has always been 21.8MPG. What is up with that?
I'm guessing that figure is what the average mpg reading shows. Have you tried doing a manual calculation after fill-ups to see what that shows?
I use fuelly.com to keep track of the mpg figures for my vehicles. It will do the calculations for you.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing that figure is what the average mpg reading shows. Have you tried doing a manual calculation after fill-ups to see what that shows?
I use fuelly.com to keep track of the mpg figures for my vehicles. It will do the calculations for you.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I just might try that

Back