After 6 years of lurking...

dflocks80

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Hello everyone,

I own a 1998 Explorer EB, SOHC which served as my DD from August 2010 until June of this year. It's been a great truck. I've been on this site all 6 of those years for all manner of repairs and modifications.

My truck hit 258,000 miles in June. I purchased the truck with 195,000 miles, and because I never had timing chain issues, I figured the previous owners must've addressed that at some point. Unfortunately, I was wrong, and I ended up with a nasty death rattle while on the way to the lake one Saturday morning this past June. To pile it on, I also blew out a rear axle seal on that trip. I bought a 2004 F150 to serve DD duties for me, and left the Explorer to sit, wondering whether it was better to sell it for next to nothing or donate it.

Seeing the truck sit idle every day as I left for work and came home every day made me sad, and I finally decided that it deserved better than to be sold and ultimately scrapped somewhere. Poking around on this site again has me inspired to drop in a newer Mustang SOHC and make the truck more offroad worthy. Because it's no longer my DD, the sky's the limit as to the repairs/mods I can undertake. I'm looking forward to it, and happy to be officially registered on this forum.

Welcome.

Back