ipozestu

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Mateo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sportie
Hey All,
I have a few questions about after market gauges.

1. I have a 5 spd, am I able to get a tranny temp off of it? Is it woth it?

2. Was thinking of putting Air:Fuel Gauge as well, Does any one have this installed already? Do you actually see a change in the gauge at different throttle positions?
3. Has any one run a oil temp gauge if so where did you get the sender hooked up?:mattmoon:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can answer about the A/F gauge. For most drivers, an A/F gauge doesn't tell you much. I have one because I want to make sure I'm not running lean when under boost, and I also used to have nitrous oxide hooked up. For drivers without substantial engine mods, nitrous, or forced induction, the gauge won't tell you much. Basically I'm happy if it pegs rich when under max boost and leans out when coasting.

Pics:
Dead Link Removed

Thanks for the reply Alex. I did some research last night on th A/F gauge. I found that the Auto meter Lunar Series A/F gauge will suit me perfectly. There was a modified version at www.hallmanboostcontroller.com
Aparently they were able to recalibrate the gauges to the narrow voltage range that your vehicle should run while at full throttle. The finished product has 5 times the resolution of the stock gauge and incredible speed and accuracy. On the modified gauge, each of the 20 LED's will represent .01V covering the range from approximately .78V to .98V. This range covers full throttle conditions in most vehicles. This is much more accuate than the .1V to 1V signal that the stock AutoMeter gauge has. This enables the gauge read even at full throttle and when the throttle is let off.
They said that they will recal. old gauges you may already havefor a small fee.:chug:

To answer one of your questions: You don't need a temp gauge for manual transmissions. Unlike automatics, the oil in most 5spds is just splashed around inside the case to lubricate the gears. It doesn't get that hot.

In an automatic, however, a temp gauge is a very good idea. I had one in my previous vehicle, and plan to install one.

My suggestions for gauges:
1) Oil pressure - the explorer gauge is fake - notice how it never changes!
2) Transmission Oil Temperature - just as above, should have come from the factory
3) Oil temperature - nice to have, but many explorers come with heavy duty water/oil coolers, so the lube oil's temp is very similar to the coolant temp.
4) A/F - on stock engines, as Alec said, its just something cool to look it. It will tell you if your engine is running right, but if it is not, your CEL will come on anyways. They are very unreliable at WOT, i hear (correct me if i'm wrong)

Hey V8
You are correct they are not correct a WOT but with the modified version it narrows the bandwith and allows you determine your A/F mixture at WOT. I kind of like the idea of knowing that I am not leaning out at WOT. It should be able to help me determine how lean at WOT I can go when I have My Apten programed. I thought that was the case with the Tranny temp. Oil pressure is the one that I am going to shoot for. The idiot gauge is useless to me too.

How much does it cost to have the gauges intstalled? And where do you put all of the gauges?

Thanks Ben

There are more options than you can shake a stick at, when it comes to mounting gauges. I am going to go with the A pilar mount option, which requires you to puchase a gauge pod. The gauges vary in price depending upon it's application. How much to install you ask... Well about a 12 pack of beer, 1 box of band aids, and a few hours on a Sat. afternoon. Seriously I have no idea how much it would cost to install. Probably way more than I am willing to pay.

I wouldn't waste your money on an A/F Gauge....I have an autometer sport comp on my stang for my nitrous and its never been reliable...

www.members.aol.com/shoman96/int5.jpg

www.members.aol.com/shoman96/int3.jpg

pictures are on that site of it...

but the gauge dosn't fuction very well and is speratic at best...The only way to properly measure A/F is with a Wide Band O2 sensor...which I believe is about a 500+$ setup....Airfuel gauges on narrow band O2's isn't relable....its been saying I'm dead rich when infact I've been a bit lean with my new engine setup (mustang) New O2's

The best gauges you could get would be:

tranny temp
oil PSI
Water temp

if you REALLY into racing an Exhaust Gas Temp

all in electrical for ease of install and not worrying about fluids being routed into the cabin

Hmm, I WAS rather suspicious how my Explorers Oil pressure gauge NEVER moved. I remember a '73 F100 of my dad's that had aftermarket Oil Pressure and temp gauges installed and how the needle would move up and down as you revved and let up on the engine. But would the stock oil pressure gauge at least tell me when I lose it?

I'm making a completely custom gauge cluster for my '61 F100 however. I hate the stock cluster, and I'm putting in a completely different engine that I would like to have the extra monitoring on. It'd almost look like a Nascar Craftsman Truck Dash with the addition of a speedometer backed with chrome diamond plate.

Yup...thats why in my X i'm doing tranny temp and oil pressure :)

Alec, why don't you run nitrous any more?

I didn't use it enough to justify the loss of cargo space, mainly.

Back