Aftermarket/Swapping Steering Wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket/Swapping Steering Wheel

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys,
Question on the steering wheel. it seems my stock steering while is oozing black crap. Im assuming this is from the soft rubber inside the steering wheel, but its getting all over my hands. My question is this, can I swap in a new steering wheel from a newer explorer? if so, will it throw off my alignment? I would throw in after market, but I dont want to ditch my airbag. steering wheel covers are just annoying. Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how new? my 98 has a 2000 stering wheel.

I was looking at some of the newest explorer wheels and they have woodgrain in them and such BUT they are not the same models. I guess Im asking if say a 03 explorer wheel will swap into the 99 and work--- or should I stick to the same model wheel?

Why did you change out your wheel?

i changed it because i had one of the plastic wheels, and the parts truck at the time had a leather wrapped wheel. as for swapping for a newer gen. that i don't know, sorry.

bump...

did you end up trying a 3rd gen steering wheel? i was thinking about doing the same thing and wanted to know if it worked. anybody have anything to add?

I sure didnt to be honest. Bigger problems arose so I had to put this on the back burner for now

Back