Air flow noise 07 Mountaineer

Joe Melchiorre

Reaction score
City, State
Vineland. NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 mountaineer
Hello I am new to this forum. My name is Joe
I have a 2007 Mountaineer. It started to have a loud air sound when accelerating from a stop. I shut of the heater and it still was doing the same thing. Temp was normal. I then noticed when turning the temp on the heater to 80, the air was cold. The car had been running for 30 minutes or more. I stopped and opened the hood. Had a smell like anti freeze. I bought anti freeze and put it in. Still no heat. When leaving the store. The temp gauge neede moved to Hot for 30 seconds or so then went back to normal. Any ideas on what’s going on. I saw that the air intake has issues on theses vehicles because they are plastic crack and leak. But I’m not sure. I am searching for help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a leak somewhere. The fan does that when the engine gets too hot and is trying to give extra air flow to cool it down.

Probably best to not drive it till you get it figured out. Thermostat housing, radiator, and rear block heater (if you have one) are the most common culprits. I've seen the heater hose with the plastic T leak as well on these but that's a hard one to spot till it gets real bad

I see a leak dripping from transmission area but I can’t get a good look where it is coming from. Where is the rear block heater?

Rear heater core is behind the rear drivers side wheel.

Is the wetness on the drivers side or passengers side?

It’s kind of in center to slight passenger side

Might be the 3 way heater hose. Its located under the air intake pipe. Reach under and grab the hoses and see if your fingers get wet. That usually drips onto the frame rail though. It's also possible the thermostat housing is leaking and it's either spraying backwards or pooling on the block and dripping down

Back