Alignment after Hub Assembly Replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alignment after Hub Assembly Replacement?

caddywumpus

Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
A few months ago I replaced the left front hub assembly on my wife's 2001 Sport. I originally thought it was a flat spot on one of the two front tires.. until the guy at the tire store showed me otherwise. So thanks to this form and a coupon code that I found on dealnews.com I was able to replace the hub assembly for less than $70. Thanks guys!!

Now back at the same tire store to replace the other other two tires and they pointed out some inside wear on one of the tires and they discovered that one of the rims was bent. I could not confirm that the tire in question came from the newly replaced hub assembly and/or if it belonged to the bent rim. I was not allowed in the shop area. However, the tire guy asked if I had the front end aligned after I replaced the hub assembly. I told him no... I didn't think it was necessary.. What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The way the hub assemblies bolted onto my 2000 (I've done both in the last few months), no front wheel realignment is necessary.

Unless you had to bang on something REALLY, REALLY hard to loosen it . . .

Hopefully an actual expert will chime in here and confirm.

Dan

The hub replacement shouldn't change the alignment.

But that's not to say that your truck might need an alignment.

Yea hub assembly does not change the alignment unless you are removing the tie rod or either ball joints but since you only need to remove the caliper, rotor to do the swap.. I suspect its your suspension components that are worn out.

i agree with everbody else, you do not need an alignment after replacing a hub assembly

Thanks guys

Thanks for the feedback. I was 90% sure that I didn't touch anything that affected the suspension or alignment when I replaced the hub assembly. I suspected that the tire wear is coming from the warped rim. I guess the tire wear occurred prior to me replacing the hub assembly and I just didn't notice. About a year ago I had $700 in front end work at Sears. I can't remember without looking at the receipt what they replaced. So I'm leaning toward thinking that the alignment ok. There is no pull to the right or left... and no corresponding wear on the other front tire. Unfortunately my current financial situation dictates that I prioritize so I'm gonna look into getting another rim first.. then another tire.. then have the alignment checked. Sound like I'm on the right track?:hammer:

Back