• Register Today It's free!

Alignment question: Caster?

Lizard

Reaction score
City, State
Erie, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited V8
Just replaced upper/lower ball joints and tie rods, hoping to get a better ride. Carefully replaced parts to the same dimensions as the ones I removed. Also installed cam kit so it could be aligned, then went to the dealership for an alignment. No improvement in ride quality. Just recently noticed that the left front wheel is positioned significantly further back towards rear of vehicle than the right one. The right is centered in relation to the wheel well fender. Left is approx 1 1/2 inches aft of center. I understand this to be "caster," but are the wheels supposed to be equal in caster position to each other? Can this disparity be causing me to lose dental fillings when hitting a pot hole? I can do most repairs, but am an idiot when it comes to alignment issues. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

measure from wheel to wheel instead, your body measurements might not be accurate on a ten year old truck.
I think that your ride is more dependant on your shocks and tires, how much pressure are you running? The less pressure the better the ride but also it will change the handling.
don't go to low though, these trucks will really sway with low tire pressures.

yea on most ford trucks they want the cross caster adjustments to be at least 1/2° difference between the left and right tires, with the right tire having a higher caster degree than the left wheel(meaning the left wheel furthur back than the right wheel). this is to compensate for road crown on the US roads.

did you get a printout of the alignment from the dealer? check out cross caster....should be a negative reading from -1.4° to 0.0°

I don't know mine is the same on both sides, but then I told the alignment shop what I wanted

The wheel's position in the wheel well doesn't mean a hill o' beans in terms of the alignment angles. I can make it centered with a sledge hammer if that's what you really want, but the body's not going to appreciate it.

Alignment isn't going to affect ride quality significantly. You need to be looking at things like youre shock, wheel, and tire selection. I's a 3500lb SUV with a solid rear axle and a body-on-frame architecture. It's built like a truck and is going to ride like a truck. If you're seeking Cadillac-like ride quality, you've bought the wrong vehicle for you.

-Joe

Back