All of my crazy transmission issues SOLVED...Im the idiot... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All of my crazy transmission issues SOLVED...Im the idiot...

1992fordgreen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Inside the Rehabilitation Center
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 SC400 92 SC400 96 Ex
So you guys know me...I was here posting a thread about that stupid Explorer i was wrestling for a year. Slowly, and surely I replaced things here, repaired stuff there, even cut wires to make things go off. Anyways, 3 things left to do to make it 99%.

To the tranny issues...here is the story...

removed the tranny, had tranny rebuilt by independent guy, installed it, wouldnt start, found out that the starter ground was off, put it back on, started, no gears, then put in more ATF, went for the first test drive, good for 5 minutes, then went bizzerk, in limp mode, limped home, put more fluid in, worked...for a few minutes then went crazy again, got 3 codes, SSC and SSB, also EGR malfunction, replaced purge valve solenoid and charcoal canister assembly, code went away, went for a test drive, 2 codes, same as before, dropped the pan, replaced SSC with new one (tested slow), went for a test drive, good for 2 minutes, then went absolutely crazy, radiator cracked and belched out all coolant, replaced radiator, dropped pan, poked around, all good, put all back together, tried to fill tranny with ATF but 99% of it came out the overflow, thats when it dawned on me, (and JK80 and BrooklynBay) I was the idiot, all issues were caused from filling the tranny with the engine off, filled tranny wityh engine at IDLE, went for a test drive, was perfect besides a shift flare from some stupid SSB. Other than that, all good!

So lesson learned, after 6 months of crapping around with the same thing over and over, it was a fluid thing the entire time. What an idiot. Though I was hoping and prayinfg that I was the one with the issues...I wasnt looking forward to re wiring the PCM or tranny harness.....!!! Thanks for the help tranny experts! :thumbsup: :D

Back