Crazy transmission issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crazy transmission issues

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Lowered '95 Explorer
It's been a long time since I've been on this site because I got rid of the last explorer I had but ended up with another one recently. So no I'm back!

Anyway, I have a 95 2wd 4dr XLT and the o/d light started flashing and eventually wouldn't go into gear at all. Replaced the tranny with a used one out of a buddy's explorer that worked perfectly in his truck, motor crapped out. Same year, model etc. actually only a month apart. Got the new"er" tranny installed and now I have no speedo and no overdrive. Takes a little longer than usual to shift out of first(about 2500-3000rpm) then hard shift into 2nd and normal shift into 3rd but no O/D. Getting code 332 and 452. EGR valve not opening and no input from speed sensor.

Here's what I've done:
-Checked continuity in exterior wire harness.
-Replaced VSS connector because mine was a little worn and showing bare wire
-Replaced VSS and have a few extra speed sensors with me that all test out
fine
-No blown fuses or relays
-Tested all tranny solenoids and all check out.
-Even replaced PCM with one from the tranny donor

Here's an interesting question, I'm only getting 5.4mV TO the speed sensor but the manual I've read said I should have at least 1.5V? at both PCM connector and VSS connector

I;m at a total loss right now and am starting to question myself about getting this explorer. I am really determined to get this figured out so I can start driving it again.

PLEASE HELP!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The main tranny harness, the blue one, check the prongs and the cavaties on the connector and receiver. You might have bent a prong. There should be 3 cavaties on the right side of the connector, thats it.

I will double check all that again but didn't have any issues plugging that one in and the metal clip went right in place like it should. Any other ideas? Also, the air bag light came on the other day, blinking code 12 (low voltage?)

Remove the VSS sensor from the transmission and spin the gear with a drill, see if you can get the speedo to move. If it works then the transmission is not spinning the gear for some reason.

Remove the VSS sensor from the transmission and spin the gear with a drill, see if you can get the speedo to move. If it works then the transmission is not spinning the gear for some reason.
I did this today and when I spin it manually, the speedo moves. I had a sensor with a longer gear and tried that one but still nothing. None of the gears that I have to test with are worn. Doesn't the gear just run along the output shaft while it's turning? when I look in the hole I just see shiny metal on the shaft but no gears or anything.... is there supposed to be a gear on the shaft to meet the gear on the sensor?

Well thats not good.

It sounds like the output shaft on your replacement transmission does not have the speedo gear made on the shaft. The gear is part of the shaft so it cant be added, you have a shaft that is made without it because the vehicle it came from gets its VSS from somewhere else like the rear diff or something.

You will have to replace the shaft with one with a gear on it, this requires the complete disassembly of the transmission. So you might as well rebuild it or rebuild the original one.

Maybe you can make the other vehicles VSS system work with your truck, could be a easy fix.

I try to avoid swapping transmissions as much as possible just because of problems like this, its very frustrating.

Well thats not good.

It sounds like the output shaft on your replacement transmission does not have the speedo gear made on the shaft. The gear is part of the shaft so it cant be added, you have a shaft that is made without it because the vehicle it came from gets its VSS from somewhere else like the rear diff or something.

You will have to replace the shaft with one with a gear on it, this requires the complete disassembly of the transmission. So you might as well rebuild it or rebuild the original one.

Maybe you can make the other vehicles VSS system work with your truck, could be a easy fix.

I try to avoid swapping transmissions as much as possible just because of problems like this, its very frustrating.

I don't get it... it has a speed sensor on the transmission but wouldn't use the speed sensor? I haven't seen any pictures of what the actual output shaft is SUPPOSED to look like but it doesn't look like there was ANY gearing or anything on the shaft to begin with.

I'm about ready to kick this one to the curb and get something else.....

Back