All SOHC Mods | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All SOHC Mods

Hehe ;)

Like I said, I'm gonna check the bottom end, but I don't think I'll need to do anything to it. The 4.0 very decent strength in the bottom end.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doug904 What do you thing about the S/C kit that is comming from Explorer Express? I know that you know your stuff here and would like to hear your input. I am getting this kit.

I find that the EE kit is a very nice peice. It has alot of time and effort put into the cast upper intake and someother goodies. The only main problem I really see with the kit is that it just isn't large enough. After viewing some Dyno results it doesn't really show to be all that powerful. Now I'm comparing this to some supercharged OHV's and this isn't to be confused, the EE kit IS still a supercharger and WILL give you a very noticable increase in power. Just not as much as I had hoped.

The main reason for this though is trying to keep it useable on a relativly stock engine with nothing done to it. They use a chip to controll the additional fuel and timing curve. I personally like to address these concerns with a larger set of injectors, larger intank fuel pump, and calibrated MAF. This way you know your not testing the limits of the stock items. Also this doesn't cost $1000 extra, the injectors around $200, pump $100 at most, and MAF $200 so around half that. THen once you have all of this it gives you the extra assurance that you have the additional fuel so your not worried about leaning the engine out. Also with the specifically calibrated MAF you get the better timing and fuel
curve to ensure a proper air/fuel ratio for the newly found power. Finally when you have everything up and running good then you could get a custom dyno tuned computer chip to tie all your mods together and get the most from them. To me a aftermarket chip should enhance all of the mods you've done to your ride, you shouldn't HAVE to have it in just to get it to run.

I plan on putting one of my guys on the dyno this Monday the 20th with a M90 supercharger and the only other mod he has is a dual exhaust set-up after the cats. This will be nice to compare the actual HP and torque numbers to the EE kit with a larger supercharger on a stock engine.

I'll keep you all posted.

Later Doug904.

You will get the torque numbers when we are finshed with the tuning. Low end power and throttle response is very good right now. The horsepower numbers given were on a stock vehicle with stock exhaust, intake an computer tuning. We were happy with the results. Especially with drivability. We will give no more numbers untill the kit is completely finished.

This kit WILL NOT PING!

We are spending a lot of time and energy to make sure the air and fuel mixture is appropriate for maximum power and reliability.

Mass air, fuel delivery and intake design are all part of what we are woking on. We have the best people in the industry working on this.

The M62 Eaton is a fourth generation modern blower. It has design features that are superior to the M90 (second & third gen.) including an internal bypass.

The M62 is good for over 7.5 psi of boost. Proven on a dyno. These high compression engines won't take over 6psi. It is smaller than the M90 but is appropriate for this application and fits under the hood. The Eaton blowers have a long reputation for quality and reliabilty. This is why you see them on such OEM examples such Lightening F150, Pontiac Gran Prix, Nissan Frontier and Toyota TRD.

Let me know what speed shop could fix you up with a kit this nice for the same price. Including tuning and emissions approval! This kit is complete right down the drive belt, nut, bolt and washer. We test and develop these on Explorers just like yours. It will be worth every penny. It would be difficult for an individuall to duplicate it at a machine shop.

Our goal is to make a kit that gives these V6 SOHC the lower end power they need. We have designed it with the proper balance of power and reliabilty. We want you to be able to bolt it on a stock engine and enjoy it for years. I have driven vehicles with this supercharger install. I can tell you, we are on the right track. You can judge this supercharger kit when we have the final numers or when you drive it!

John V.@ Explorer Express

By the way Doug

We will be doing some testing on our V8 X-Charger at our next dyno test date in Feb. We have an experimental mass air sensor and fuel pump boost component from Pro-M to test on it. We will also have the www.fordchip.com
guys on hand to dail in a chip specific for these for these mods. We have two V8 vehicles to test. One is relatively stock, the other has upgraded cam, injectors and throttle body. We are not finished getting max power out of these V8 superchargers. While everyone is busy talking about horsepower and 1/4 mile times, we have been busy. We know you guys want maximum power out of these supercharger kits.

We are listening!

John V.@ExplorerExpress

Originally posted by JOHN V.
You will get the torque numbers when we are finshed with the tuning. Low end power and throttle response is very good right now. The horsepower numbers given were on a stock vehicle with stock exhaust, intake and computer tuning. We were happy with the results. Especially with drivability. We will give no more numbers untill the kit is completely finished.

This kit WILL NOT PING!

We are spending a lot of time and energy to make sure the air and fuel mixture is appropriate for maximum power and reliability.

Mass air, fuel delivery and intake design are all part of what we are woking on. We have the best people in the industry working on this.

The M62 Eaton is a fourth generation modern blower. It has design features that are superior to the M90 (second & third gen.) including an internal bypass.

The M62 is good for over 7.5 psi of boost. Proven on a dyno. These high compression engines won't take over 6psi. It is smaller than the M90 but is appropriate for this application and fits under the hood. The Eaton blowers have a long reputation for quality and reliabilty. This is why you see them on such OEM examples such Lightening F150, Pontiac Gran Prix, Nissan Frontier and Toyota TRD.

Let me know what speed shop could fix you up with a kit this nice for the same price. Including tuning and emissions approval! This kit is complete right down the drive belt, nut, bolt and washer. We test and develop these on Explorers just like yours. It will be worth every penny. It would be difficult for an individuall to duplicate it at a machine shop.

Our goal is to make a kit that gives these V6 SOHC the lower end power they need. We have designed it with the proper balance of power and reliabilty. We want you to be able to bolt it on a stock engine and enjoy it for years. I have driven vehicles with this supercharger install. I can tell you, we are on the right track. You can judge this supercharger kit when we have the final numers or when you drive it!

John V.@ Explorer Express

I for one am looking forward to this kit and can't wait to bolt it up. John V and hit team has been working on this kit for a very long time and I expect nothing but Quality, Reliablity, and Power. I know a S/C has been something I have wanted since I got my truck.

I love to be "Blown"!

Hehe, Black Magic is gonna be a version of Mini-Splat ;)

BTW, any news on our N2O/BB deal?

Please dont' take my post as a hit against your kit John, I said nothing to the sorts. I thought I praised it very much so and really do like it. I also stated the obvious that your selling a kit that is a direct bolt on unit and doesn't require alot of other mods as I do. So please don't take me the wrong way, I really appreciate someone taking the time to actually develope a kit for the new SOHC's like you have.

I don't really even know if this has been stated on the boards before but if everyone doesn't know the Vortech kit will bolt-on to a 95-00 OHV 4.0 as well as the 90-94 as its packaged for. The 95-97 installation is pretty stragiht foward and the 98-00 requires just a bit more along with a larger set of injectors and recalibrated MAF to handle the extra fuel demands and new engine loads. Like I said though, this is for the 95-00' 4.0 Over Head Valve, not the SOHC's. I've installed these kits on these vehicles before.

Later Doug904.

So, Alec

You say the S/C kit will be ok for the motor, what is the solution for the tranny? Will "she" die quickly wit the s/c on 'her"? are there any modifications ect... two prevent this? or just go out and get a new tranny when you get the s/c runnin'? If so, what tranny would that be?

Thanks,
Tonedog

Well, not much you can do. You could put an internal shift kit and some other improved hard parts in there, but there isn't much you can do to the A4LD family.

I'd just put the s/c on, wait til the tranny dies, then figure it out. You could go with a C4/C5 but depending on what you get you may lose overdrive, need a different tcase, etc.

Basically the Explorer tranny is always a can of worms. But, my tranny right now is handling about 280-300 hp fine after it was rebuilt. I'm gonna have about 340 hp sometime soon and will see how it holds up.

Sometimes you forget others have to deal with emissions testing when you've never had to deal with it. As for the ping, I must not have been payin attention to who posted that the more expensive kit would ping and wouldnt have a warranty. Hopefully the kit is what everyones hopin for.

Sometimes my frustrations with the explorer gets the best of me. Didnt mean to bash you guys.

After romping on a Lightning with 4lb pulley, chip, filter and shift valve, I know thats the only answer for me now. I might do some cheap little stuff here and there for fun, but the blower kit is now outta the question for sure.

4.0 sohc ???

what can i do to it internally

becaus ei'm gonna be pulling the engine to rebiuld it after my oil pump died and my cam chain tensioners broke, at 126000 miles.
on my 98 sport.

so i wanna while i have the engine ou i wanna change in preformance cams. maybe even polish and port, and
but i don't know what i can really do to my sohc?

mabe even bore her out???
make her a 4.2 v6

hahaha give me some ideas thanks

Doug,
Any progress on your site for modding 4.0 OHVs?
I'd love to see progression paths for beefing them up.
I'm currently looking at exhaust options, but have research to do.
I think with my stock 96 4.0 OHV, I'm looking at 160-165hp, correct?
Brian and I are still working out some torque bog issues with my Apten, but between that and the KKM, I might be ~180? Still fairly humble for some of the others on the road, and I'd like to get it ~2+... perhaps exhaust will get me up there.
My ears are always receptive of good advice from you pros. :)

Back