Alternator/Battery/Charging System question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternator/Battery/Charging System question

S1L1K0N

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer V6 XLT
Hey folks, I've got an '01 Explorer which started behaving oddly last night. I noticed the dash lights were dim (than usual) and when I looked down @ the Voltmeter gauge, the needle was near the L end of the 'normal' range (usually the needle sits just a hair over the middle). I figured it must be the alternator, no big deal. Well, after sitting there idling, all of a sudden the needle jumped up and everything was back to normal. Not a minute later, the needle dropped again and we limped it home. I checked the battery voltage this morning, it was reading 12.4 (before starting), which I didn't think was too bad because we drove it home last night (about 15km) and the temperature here this morning was -28C (-18F). When I started the truck, I got 14.5 Volts, but within 20 secs it dropped down to 12.2 and started to fall (down to 11.7 before I shut it off; obviously not charging). I've already removed the alternator and will be getting it tested this afternoon. I'm thinking possible the ground from the battery (if not the Alt.) but I can't seem to trace it as it disappears under the truck; does anybody have any input on where to look. I'm in a garage, but it's not heated (requires gloves to handle the tools). Thanks!

The alternator failed the test, and I've subsequently replaced it; good for another 170,000kms! :)

Back