• Register Today It's free!

Alternator Charging

blackcoffee

Reaction score
City, State
SAINT INIGOES
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
New the the forum, first question on my 2018 Explorer Limited. Have been pretty active on other forums, especially with my Expedition.

So, the factory battery died at about 36 months. This seems to be typical for the current generation of Ford batteries which is disappointing because I remember them lasting 7 years. I no longer replace with Ford since they sold their Motorcraft division.

Anyhow, the Explorer has the typical symptom of a low voltage battery. No matter where audio was when you shutdown the car, it jumps to 530 AM on startup. This has always been the first warning to me that the battery was low. With my new battery, that is good, I did a multimeter check. Engine running battery connected 13.5 VDC. Engine running battery disconnected and reading alternator output 13.31 VDC. Took is to the Dealer (under warranty) and they say it is good. Told me the PCM regulates the alternator output based on demand. It used to be that 14.4 was typical alternator output and below 13.7 was time to replace. It seems funny that the "regulated output" is below the voltage of the battery installed and 13.3 VDC when not installed.

Does anyone have the details of the alternator test? Apparently old school multimeter does work anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I've read, I also understand that the PCM (or is it the BCM) that controls voltage depending on demand and it doesn't always output the 'normal' 14.4V.
I don't have any hard data, just what I've read on the internet (so it must be true ;) ).

From what I've read, I also understand that the PCM (or is it the BCM) that controls voltage depending on demand and it doesn't always output the 'normal' 14.4V.
I don't have any hard data, just what I've read on the internet (so it must be true ;) ).
Thanks. I am looking to find a shop manual or service data to get smarter on this.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter
I have to admit that I am losing heart in the Blue Oval. I have a 2003 Expedition, rebuilt the engine and transmission, and done a lot of work. I like working on it, but parts are getting hard to find. The Explorer is my wife's daily driver. At three years I am starting to notice problems. Just took it in for a new hood. Bad aluminum which corrodes. Traceable back to about 2000. The Expedition hoods had the same problem. 18 years later and the factory is still putting out bad hoods. Unacceptable. Since most dealer technicians are kids that haven't developed skills yet, I do a lot of work myself. The recent recall notice on the heater relay was a joke. It could overheat, get stuck in closed and kill your battery, or maybe catch on fire. We aren't going to fix it, but if any of those bad things happen it is covered. Then I find out that changing a battery requires a powertrain module reset. In what world did that make sense. Ford has been doing crazy things for a few years and their customer satisfaction ratings are beginning to show it.

Back