• Register Today It's free!

Alternator & wire harness voltage

KC90

Reaction score
City, State
Kootenay's
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT
An issue I have with my alternator led me to curiosity of its harness. The harness has 3 connections - the 2 on the outside have wires, the middle does not.
In my Haynes repair book it says that the harness ignition off should produce 12V+ on 1 connector. Ignition on( engine not running) 1 connector should produce 12V+ and 1 produces 1V.
I tested this on my eX - Ignition off, 1 connector has 12.38V. Ignition on( engine off), 1 conector has 12.38 and the other 1 reads 12.03V.

The one reading 12.03 is leading me to believe its linked to my voltage problem. Just in case I'll ask , what voltage should those connectors be?

My main problem is my Alternator produces around 13V at idle (I've seen it hit high 12Vs a few times now), and in between 13.8-14.1V reved to about 1500RPM (Not once seen 14.4V its supposed to be, even revved to 2000+RPM).

Alternator is a Mechman 270a. Even my stock Alternator does this.

ALSO, when I first got my eX, the stock alternator produced 14.4V. It decreased to 14V after I put my system in. All voltage readings I took were with the system COMEPLETELY off, headunit and all.

Thanks and any info is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you looking for 14.4 volts exaxtly?

No. Im looking for a consistent voltage. Im fine with around 14V, I just dont like the 13V at idle. I used to have 14+ consistent with stock alt. Got new alternator and got weird numbers, soon after stock alternator did the same thing.

The connector worries me, if 1 is supposed to be 1V but puts out 12, wouldnt it be burning out something in my alternators?

well not question your measurements... but how are you measuring your voltages??? You could get any readings you "want" (or don't want) IF you are not measuring correctly. Without looking at schematics, the "abnormal" high one doesn't sound right... hence the question.

No. Im looking for a consistent voltage. Im fine with around 14V, I just dont like the 13V at idle. I used to have 14+ consistent with stock alt. Got new alternator and got weird numbers, soon after stock alternator did the same thing.

The connector worries me, if 1 is supposed to be 1V but puts out 12, wouldnt it be burning out something in my alternators?

problem with alternators is they all dont come with the same exact voltage, then you have to factor in voltage drops in wires etc, if you're running a system and want a solid punch to the subs capacitors are for this. else i would really not worry, car electronics have a pretty good tolerance and will operate up to 16-18volts before they get fried.

I got the voltage to stabilize abit today. Sit at about 13.6-.8V engine idle. Moved some wires around and charged each battery. I am happy with that idle number, but about the harness, can someone give me numbers from theirs?

I probed the connectors on the plug that connects right to the alternator with a multimeter. Ignition off I get 1 pin with 12V, Ignition on truck off both pins are 12V. The middle pin has no wire so obviously nothing through that pin

If someone has around the same numbers I wont worry so much, but for the book saying it is supposed to be 1V scares me abit.

Just checked. Both are at 12+ volts with ign. on not running.

Back