• Register Today It's free!

Altitude ?

Carl D.

Reaction score
City, State
St Charles MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
Hey were going to Colorado in several weeks for some more wheelin. Anyway I was recently told to take my X to local Ford dealer when I get to Co. and have them recalibrate my computer for the altitude and that my x will run a lot better.

My question is two fold. Is this correct, should I have the computer reprogramed for the altitude or is disconnecting the battery, draining the system and reconnecting the battery enough, to reset the computer once we reach Colorado. I hate to pay a dealer $$$$ if that is all they do.

PS: X ran fine last time we were there, except driving over several of the tall passes on the highway, top speed then was about 30mph.

Thanks
Carl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would just say disconnect the battery and let it re-learn by itself, plus if you have it reprogrammed out here, you'll have to have it re-programmed again when you go back.

Also, if there is any way you can try to open up the airbox to let it suck a little easier, thatl help alot.

Leaving now to go up sevenmile creek up poudre canyon, power is rather scarce at 11,000 ft!

Have fun on your ride. I already have a cone style K&N Airfilter.

Thanks

I jsut recently drove out to Idaho from Mass. and I am now living at 6000 feet and regularly drive a few thousand feet up beyond that as well. My Explorer is sucking wind out here, I have probably at least a 15% loss of power, maybe more, it's hard to tell. I have an apten chip, run 91 octane, a K&N cone filter, flowmaster muffler and exhaust. I just reset my computer too, but I didn't really notice a difference.

I was told there is not much you can do to counter the altitude, but if there is, I need to know! Please! :burnout:

Don't worry about getting it reprogrammed.

A mostly stock vehicle should adjust fine even without disconnecting the battery and letting the computer reset. However, if you have a drastic rapid elevation change on a trip the truck would benefit from pulling over, shutting down for a few minutes, then going on your way.

Carl D. said:
PS: X ran fine last time we were there, except driving over several of the tall passes on the highway, top speed then was about 30mph.

My top speed is about 45-50 mph in those tall passes. (8000-10000 ft), just so you can compare. The Eisenhower tunnel on I-70 is one of the highest out there and it's right at 10,000 ft.

Your truck simply won't be able to go 60-70 mph up those passes. The only way you could do that is with a V8, or if you could drop 1,000 lbs off your truck.

Or you could have a supercharger and nitrous :D Absolutely no problems with mine ;)

Back