Am I forgetting anything? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I forgetting anything?

I have an enclosed car hauler on order and am trying to ready the Adrenalin for its first attempt at towing.

The trailer weighs in at 3000lbs and is 20x8.5', the car that will be inside weighs in at 3700lbs with a light fuel load.

I have axle straps & ratchet straps on their way to hold the car down once its in the trailer. I have a set of race ramps coming to get the lowered car into the trailer in the first place.

I've had an electronic brake controller professionally installed in the Adrenalin, I just assembled a brush guard to mount on the hitch so that rocks don't hit the trailer or worse yet, bounce off the trailer & hit the Adrenalin.

Once the trailer arrives I'll be fitting a weight equalizing hitch with a sway control.

I have a hitch lock, coupler lock, padlocks for the trailer doors & a locking hitch pin.

So folks - history tells me I always miss something, what is it? Lol

42 views & no comments. Could it be that I have all my bases covered?

Come on folks either tell me what I'm missing here or reassure me that I have it right. There aren't many places to get anything around here so I need time to get things shipped.

Here goes:

1. I do not know the specs for the Adrenaline. You have the V8, but do you have the factory tow package? Does the "Adrenaline" package have any negative effect on towing capacity? In short, what is your MAX tow rating, and what is your GCVWR (combined rating). If you did not get the factory tow package, forget this idea.
2. With all of the modifications you have made, you need to get the truck weighed. The door sticker tells you what it weight empty as delivered. But it seems you've done a lot of work. Get it weighed, unless you can accurately estimate.
3. Brake controller and WDH are a must. Good for you. If you didn't already buy the WDH, I highly recommend the Equil-i-zer brand with integrated sway control. That, or the Reese Dual-Cam system, tend to be the best bang-for-the-buck.

But I'm concerned about your total weight. 3000 (trailer), plus 3700 (car) = 6700 lbs. Add those ramps and you may already be at your MAX tow rating. Are you planning to haul tool kits and fuel in there?

Being right at the max tow rating means you have ZERO capacity for anything in the truck, except for you, the driver.

And even then, your GCVWR can't be more than 12,000 lbs, which is the absolute max for the 4th Gen Explorer/Mountaineer. And that assumes the Adrenaline packatge actually gets that full 12,000 lbs.

My loaded Mountaineer weights 5050 lbs empty. Your truck certainly weighs more with those mods. I betting 5200 (truck), plus 3000 (trailer), plus 3700 (car) - 11,900 lbs. Add in the driver, and you are a tick over. Add those ramps, and any tools/fuel, and you are over limits. Getting accurate weights on everything is a must. Assuming those are estimates, by the time you load up with extra gear, and luggage, you could easily be around 13,000 lbs total.

PS - What about those fancy wheels? Are those rated to handle the extra load distributed from the trailer.

Here goes:

1. I do not know the specs for the Adrenaline. You have the V8, but do you have the factory tow package? Does the "Adrenaline" package have any negative effect on towing capacity? In short, what is your MAX tow rating, and what is your GCVWR (combined rating). If you did not get the factory tow package, forget this idea.
2. With all of the modifications you have made, you need to get the truck weighed. The door sticker tells you what it weight empty as delivered. But it seems you've done a lot of work. Get it weighed, unless you can accurately estimate.
3. Brake controller and WDH are a must. Good for you. If you didn't already buy the WDH, I highly recommend the Equil-i-zer brand with integrated sway control. That, or the Reese Dual-Cam system, tend to be the best bang-for-the-buck.

But I'm concerned about your total weight. 3000 (trailer), plus 3700 (car) = 6700 lbs. Add those ramps and you may already be at your MAX tow rating. Are you planning to haul tool kits and fuel in there?

Being right at the max tow rating means you have ZERO capacity for anything in the truck, except for you, the driver.

And even then, your GCVWR can't be more than 12,000 lbs, which is the absolute max for the 4th Gen Explorer/Mountaineer. And that assumes the Adrenaline packatge actually gets that full 12,000 lbs.

My loaded Mountaineer weights 5050 lbs empty. Your truck certainly weighs more with those mods. I betting 5200 (truck), plus 3000 (trailer), plus 3700 (car) - 11,900 lbs. Add in the driver, and you are a tick over. Add those ramps, and any tools/fuel, and you are over limits. Getting accurate weights on everything is a must. Assuming those are estimates, by the time you load up with extra gear, and luggage, you could easily be around 13,000 lbs total.

PS - What about those fancy wheels? Are those rated to handle the extra load distributed from the trailer.

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate the input.

My Adrenalin is the V8 with AWD & has the factory tow package. The dealer states it is rated to tow 7000lbs.

I weighed the truck with a full tank of gas the other week, it came in at 5091lbs.

The race ramps I've ordered are compressed foam so very light. I'm going to a car show so not travelling with extra fuel or tools - just a few detailing supplies.

Good point about the aftermarket rims. I will email the manufacturer to verify their rating.

The race ramps arrived today. The trailer is hopefully en route.

d59640cd10bf86c9f8f9ac0172a066cb_zpsc7e7dbd7.jpg

Back