• Register Today It's free!

Am I getting a good deal on 2012?

phareous

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
I am looking to get a 2012 Limited w/ 302A, sunroof, polished wheels, crossbar, and mats (the last 3 are already on the car so if I want it I take them too). This is going to be a dealer trade.

I told them I wanted x-plan pricing so they quoted me 42,684.61.

I found out where the car actually is and checked that site and that dealer wanted 38779 (non x-plan)...assuming their price included incentives I figure the actual price would probably be $2000 more (customer cash and trade-in allowance) so probably 40,779. Even if that dealer had a high doc fee, etc. I still figure it would be cheaper than the x-plan price I've been quoted.

Does anyone have any opinions? Does the x-plan price stay the same the entire year or does it drop once the new model year comes out? Because I know dealers want the 2012's off their lots and indeed the one I am looking for has been on the lot 5 months.

If this is going to be a bad deal I might tell them I don't want x-plan and will negotiate instead...or try a different dealer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps someone can comment on some unknown value beyond what is known of the x plan. If its a left over 2012 limited with the options you want, then give the local dealer one more chance to match the out of town dealers askng price. The key is one more chance, no discussion, present the facts and then get afriend to take you take you to the out of town dealer and be done with it. Personally I wouldn't all hung up on x plan pricing. Beleive it or not I found that I could buy my X cheaper through costcos autobuy plan.
Don't laugh its true, we are on our 3rd vehicle bought through that progam, my local ford dealer said, we can't even get close to that price. After they questioned me where I bought it and how much I paid. Good luck

To give you some perspective. I used Costco for my discount. I got a 2013 limited loaded with everything but cross bars and rear seat DVD. We paid just over $46,000

Well the out-of-town dealer with the car is a 9-10 hour drive so that is why I want to do a dealer trade. I could always get another dealer locally though. I am going to ask about non-xplan pricing and see if they will negotiate. It seems 2012 x-plan isn't going to be a good deal now that 2013's are out (someone please correct me if I am wrong)

You might be able to score a better deal on a 2012 if they are trying to clear inventory out. Also, a 2012 would be eligible for the $750 Swap your ride rebate going on right now. If you can score a brochure with the $750 rebate, and add in the $1000 rebate going on right now, you can really score some serious savings. If you are in school, or a recent graduate, you can also go for the $500 College rebate. Good luck on the hunt for a good deal :)

On our car, a 2013 limited V6 FWD with 302A, splash guards, moon roof, 2nd row captains chairs with console, sticker was 46910. X-plan was 44187, then we got 1750 in rebates, so it came down to 42437. We were able to get another $250 for our trade, on top of a very good price they were already giving us for it. Tax, title and license, and 6 weeks later, color us very happy owners! :)

You might be able to score a better deal on a 2012 if they are trying to clear inventory out. Also, a 2012 would be eligible for the $750 Swap your ride rebate going on right now. If you can score a brochure with the $750 rebate, and add in the $1000 rebate going on right now, you can really score some serious savings. If you are in school, or a recent graduate, you can also go for the $500 College rebate. Good luck on the hunt for a good deal :)

On our car, a 2013 limited V6 FWD with 302A, splash guards, moon roof, 2nd row captains chairs with console, sticker was 46910. X-plan was 44187, then we got 1750 in rebates, so it came down to 42437. We were able to get another $250 for our trade, on top of a very good price they were already giving us for it. Tax, title and license, and 6 weeks later, color us very happy owners! :)

They already quoted me $1000 trade in allowance incentive (PGM #33994)...is that the same as the swap your ride one? I went on the ford website twice to request a brochure and they never mailed me one...so I guess I won't have any chance on the $750 brochure coupon. As I understand it, the only changes to 2013 are heated steering wheel, knee airbag, HID has auto-bright, powered adjusting steering wheel, and lane departure warning? If so I can give those up if I can get a good deal on the 2012. The sales manager agreed that I could come in and discuss pricing if I didn't want to go the x-plan route.

I believe the sticker on my car was $46,700, and xplan was ~$42,600. I got an extra $1000(I think) from ford since my dealer was able to get me financing from chase, which is 2.9%(maybe 3.9, don't remember).

I also traded in 2 cars, one with positive equity, one with negative equity. My monthly payment is $767.

edit, 2011 Limited with 302A, sunroof, standard wheels, no tow package.

They already quoted me $1000 trade in allowance incentive (PGM #33994)...is that the same as the swap your ride one? I went on the ford website twice to request a brochure and they never mailed me one...so I guess I won't have any chance on the $750 brochure coupon. As I understand it, the only changes to 2013 are heated steering wheel, knee airbag, HID has auto-bright, powered adjusting steering wheel, and lane departure warning? If so I can give those up if I can get a good deal on the 2012. The sales manager agreed that I could come in and discuss pricing if I didn't want to go the x-plan route.

I thought that $1000 trade in allowance was when buying a F series truck, but I could very easily be wrong. I haven't been keeping up with all the rebates now that we have ours :)

The swap your ride thing is $750 bucks. If they are beating that by $250, that's cool!

You can always call the marketing department and explain that you are ready to buy, but haven't received your brochure and they might be able to give you the program number, or have your dealership call to get you the $750 brochure rebate. Always worth a try.

I am looking to get a 2012 Limited w/ 302A, sunroof, polished wheels, crossbar, and mats (the last 3 are already on the car so if I want it I take them too). This is going to be a dealer trade.

I told them I wanted x-plan pricing so they quoted me 42,684.61.

I just recently purchased a 2013 XLT and since I still had all the paperwork out I ran some numbers for you.
2012 as spec'd
Invoice FWD 41813
MSRP 45550

Invoice 4WD:43633
MSRP 47550

2013 as Spec'd
Invoice FWD 43032
MSRP 48715

Invoice 4WD 44897
MSRP 48715

This does NOT include any rebates, or incentives, destination fees $825, or the 3% hold back that Ford gives to the dealer. I would throw out the number that they gave you and make them negotiate just the sale price of the X. I used an e-mail method between 5 local dealers and was able to get mine for almost 4k under invoice.

Skip the XPlan, you can beat that price.

We bought a 2012 LTD 4WD with 302A, sunroof, 2nd row buckets, mats in Dec. At the time:

MSRP $47,485
XPlan $43,523
TrueCar $42,881

I ended up paying $42,500 minus the $1000 rebate and $750 rebate from the brochure, plus TTT.

My local dealer quoted me a XPlan price on another X for $44,446 that was on another dealer's lot. He printed off the window sticker, so I went home and searched around til I found the dealer that had it. Their Internet price was $43575.

I then searched around til I found Xs that were closer to what we wanted. My local dealer said he couldn't trade with the dealers that had what I wanted. But I ended up getting two other dealers giving me quotes on the same exact vehicle. I just had them battle it out.

Another thing you can do, look up the window sticker. It will tell you the build date. From that you can probably determine how long it's been sitting on their lot, and how eager they would be to get rid of it, due to floor pan fees. Of course, since its a 12, I'm sure they are eager to get rid of it.

The 2012 we were looking at turned out to be a dealer demo with 5000+ miles on it. We couldn't find any other 2012's like we wanted. We tried doing dealer swap on 2013's but there were only 3 on east coast so far and none of them worked out (two got sold out from under us). So in the end, we just ordered it. We got ruby red, limited with 302a, moonroof, DVD, and polished wheels. I could have gone either way on the wheels really. I looked at aftermarket DVD headrests but all of them were too far back from the head (3-4") so I just went with this so I don't have to worry about it. We got invoice price at least on all the options and no installation charges.

The x-plan price was 46035.89. We got $1750 in incentives and $4500 in trade in. Trade-in was originally $4000 but I talked them into $4500 since 2 other dealers offerred me $4000 and $4200. Also I had to ask them to check the vincent system for the $750 private cash from the brochure. I never actually got a brochure (despite requesting it 4 times), but they did approve me for that offer at some point apparently. So in total it cost us $40,223.89. Dealer didn't ask for a deposit or anything and let us watch the whole ordering process. I have print outs of everything including even the salesman and F&I commission. They also beat the interest rate by our credit union so we got a good deal there. I did have to politely remind the F&I guy that doc fee was limited to $100 (he "forgot" we were x-plan) and I also politely turned down the extended warranty. Hopefully all will go well when we go to get the car and sign all the paperwork...they guessed it would be mid-July

EDIT: This also included rear-bumper protector and wheel locks...I figured it was a good deal if I was getting those at invoice price. I couldn't even get invoice price ordering them on the internet.

Back