• Register Today It's free!

Ambient Lighting Issue

Patrick Bonham

Reaction score
City, State
Windermere, FLORIDA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EXPLORER SPORT
I have a 2018 ford explorer sport that has the ambient lighting from factory. My issue is my other half borrowed my car and left a paper cup in the cup holder and in less than a day here in Florida the drink soaked through and shorted out the lights in the cup holder and foot-well. How do I get the cup holders out to replace that module.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Patrick.:wave:
To be honest, I'm not familiar with that lighting system. I'm only guessing that you may have to take the console apart.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Patrick.:wave:
To be honest, I'm not familiar with that lighting system. I'm only guessing that you may have to take the console apart.

Peter
I have no idea how to disassemble it that would be helpful information. If you have it. My local dealer that I don’t agree with quoted me a$1500 repair while the dealership that serviced every other ford vehicle I’ve owned for the last 14 years said no it’s something different but I can’t take off work to drive back home to do it. So I’m trying to do it myself

Not sure if this will help or if the 2018 might be somewhat different. Power outlet on back of center console coming loose Check the link in post #2.
Did the other dealer say what the problem might be? Being cupholders, I would think that spillage would have been taken into consideration in the design.

Peter

I had to take the console apart/off when I replaced the shifter. It looked intimidating at first but viewing a youtube video made it fairly simple. You should be able to get to the guts of the cupholder/wiring from there.

Did you ever get this figured out? We have same issue in ‘17 explorer . No ambient lights in cupholders or floorboards in front and backseats

Did you ever get this figured out? We have same issue in ‘17 explorer . No ambient lights in cupholders or floorboards in front and backseats
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you actually have the factory installed Ambient Lighting? It doesn't sound like it.

Peter

Yes they do. I had almost the same situation where some water got into the cup holder and then I lost the cup holder ambient lighting, footwells and the rear console lighting.

Yes they do. I had almost the same situation where some water got into the cup holder and then I lost the cup holder ambient lighting, footwells and the rear console lighting.
The member who began this thread is likely no longer around. He was last seen here on October 4, 2019. Perhaps another member may have the solution but you may have to disassemble the console.

Peter

Back