Ambient Lighting 2011 vs 2014 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ambient Lighting 2011 vs 2014 explorer

Jmta16

Reaction score
City, State
Hartland, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited 4x4
Hello, I had a 2011 limited and the ambient lighting was in the cup holders. In the 2014 limited it is not. Is this correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I had a 2011 limited and the ambient lighting was in the cup holders. In the 2014 limited it is not. Is this correct?
Welcome to the Forum Jmta16.:wavey:
That doesn't sound right. Why would they remove the lighting from them? Do your cup holders have that ring around the top to display the ambient lighting?
I have the 2011 so can't really answer your question other than to say it doesn't seem right.

BTW, it would be very helpful if you added the model (Limited) to your profile so that it always show in the left margin.

Peter

We have Ambient lighting in our 2014 Limited. My son loves red :)

I have ambient lighting in my cup holders (2014 Sport)

Yeah when I had the 2011 limited it had the lights in all the spots and cup holders. The 2014 limited I picked up yesterday does not have the lense in the cup holders for the light. At first I thought it did not have anything, but found that I had to turn it on and realized it does not show in the cup holders. Now you may ask why one would care; I am just wondering if something got messed up. Not sure what I could do about it though.

Yeah when I had the 2011 limited it had the lights in all the spots and cup holders. The 2014 limited I picked up yesterday does not have the lense in the cup holders for the light. At first I thought it did not have anything, but found that I had to turn it on and realized it does not show in the cup holders. Now you may ask why one would care; I am just wondering if something got messed up. Not sure what I could do about it though.
It seems as though someone made a mistake on the assembly line and installed the wrong cup holders. If the ambient lighting is OEM then I'm guessing the lighting is there but not showing because of the wrong cup holders. I would definitely go back to the dealer and point this out. You may also want to send a private message to Crystal (FordService) the Ford rep who monitors this Forum. You can use this link if you wish;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

It seems as though someone made a mistake on the assembly line and installed the wrong cup holders. If the ambient lighting is OEM then I'm guessing the lighting is there but not showing because of the wrong cup holders. I would definitely go back to the dealer and point this out. You may also want to send a private message to Crystal (FordService) the Ford rep who monitors this Forum. You can use this link if you wish;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks Peter!

So after an arm wrestling match with smarcax they agreed to replace the center council. They initially passed it off as the correct part. I researched the 2014 limited and all had the lenses in the cup holders. I also noticed that the 2014 had a notch out for wires coming out of the compartment covered by the Lync emblem. This was clearly the wrong center console. Apparently someone swapped the original out for some reason.

They told me it was a used car and fell with in their standards. I explained that it was not even the correct part for the vehicle... Finally after threading to return the vehicle they gave in.

Back