• Register Today It's free!

Amplifier Installation Help!!!

Bitch'nX

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
I have recently purchased a Sony Xm 2165 gtx amp and two MTX thunder 4000's, and a Lightning audio amp wiring kit. So I get all this stuff and then i wondered, how do I install it? So then I had this idea to post this and ask you all for any kind of help on how to install this to my stock reciever for my '97 Eddie Bauer Explorer. If anyone out there has a diagram or anything useful like that on how to install, it would be really helpfull to me and my pals who are gunna help me install the system. Any kind of help on where to start would be great. Thanks ahead of time, for all of your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, in a nutshell....

Amp:
1. run a power wire to your battery with inline fuse
2. run ground wire to sufficient ground in rear of vehicle. normally bolts that are bolted to the frame work best.
3. run remote wire to fuse box for switched power meaning you don't want your amp to run all the time, only when your radio is on. or, if you want to tap into the factory wiring harness behind the head unit to get switched power which i don't recommend.
4. buy a rca converter to tap into your speakers to get sound to the amp. since factory headunit has no rca's. the rca converter will plug into your amp or if it has speaker level inputs your good there.
5. mount your amp and run speaker wire to your subs and i'm assuming they are already in a box.

basically thats about it. I recommend you find someone to help you that has done a install before.

be sure to GROUND IT FIRST!!! if not, you may blow your amp.. happened to me... it sux to have to buy a new amp... good luck, after that its quite easy

what do you mean ground it?

ground first... hmmm... never done that before. You need a path or there won't be any flow through the amp, that's what I thought anyway. Maybe you just got lucky JrseyKid86.

Just make sure you disco the battery when you're doing ANY kind of wiring. Much safer that way. ;)

take the ground wire (black) and connect it to any metal piece connected to the frame of the car that is unpainted (depending on your year of X, fold the back seats down, and pull up the cover that folds ontop of the back seat, and you will see some screws down there... those work great)

ROCHESTER, I've been there before!!!

I forgot to explain a ground, thanks Jrseykid86!

You've been out to Rochester Michigan before?? did ya happen to run across any worthwile trails a stock size explorer can handle??.... too many people around here, cant find any trails

Good Luck with your amp installation, unfortunatly my Explorer had a bad night tonight and i think its going to be junked, glad i could help ya out, but i think this will be one of my last posts on this forum, becuase my car will most likely be gone this week, guess im lucky to be alive....

as long as you are alive! that's the key... we just ordered some dominoes, involves less drunken driving IMO. Good luck man, and keep in touch!

pimpp

whatsup jrsey... I know where rochester is too.. Infact, I live about an hour away from it in Trenton michigan. Whether or not you know where that is, I don't know but I just thought it was cool that ya lived so close lol. Also I just purchased a 91 Explorer yesterday as my first vehicle. It needs some work but I plan on really making it nice. Steering, Brakes, Dog Legs, Exhaust work etc... Those damn dog legs seem to rotted out on every 90's explorer i've seen around lol. oh and also, sry to hear about your accident :monkey:

i have a new 800 watt amp i want to install and i was wondering what gauge speaker wire to use to tap into my speaker wires. also, is there a difference between speaker wire used on my speakers in my house and the type i need to use to tap into my speakers? thanks alot.

-kenny

ksaldibar - 16 gauge is good for tapping into your speaker wires, the main difference between home and car wire is that the car stuff is better for extreme temperature and is resistant to gas/oil (and the car stuff comes in cool colours :thumbsup: )

thanks for the quick response. the reason i was gonna do that was because my MACH audio head unit doesnt have RCA pre outs on the back of it so i was gonna tap into the wires. i found out that i can by an adaptor that only taps into the wires for 2 speakers and i can run RCA's from that adapter to the amp itself. i'm gonna do that, its alot easier. later.

-kenny

hey *****n, where in atl are you? i can help you out, im in marietta...

Back