• Register Today It's free!

An awful door rattle

jarededge

Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
Afew months ago, my driver's side door started rattling. i have also noticed that the weatherstripping on the bottom is all torn up and hanging off. Does this have anything to do with the rattle I am hearing? My dealer said it was the running boards, but I checked every single nut and bolt on those and couldn't move any of them.

Also, I took off that door panel to dynamat/put a new speaker in. Now the rear view mirror on that side of the car doesn't work right. I hooked it back up, and I didn't disconnect any wires, and the passenger one works fine.

Someone please help me out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone?

You can adjust the doors by slightly moving the striker bolt... the strikers do move since they have some type of floating nut behind them. This removed my door rattle. Check out this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136661

If this doesn't work it could be hinge pin related... If you do a search you'll find a lot of info on hinge pin replacement.

Can't really say about your mirror... I'd take the door panel off and check the wiring and connecting harness. Maybe you pinched a wire or pulled one out of the harness when you dynomatted.

I bought my 2000 last February. When I was looking at it the dealer said the hinge pins on the drivers door were worn out and needed replaced. The top back corner of the door was actually hitting the door jam. The dealer ended up replacing both hinges. They said the hinges were cheap, and while they were more than a pin kit, it was less labor to paint the new ones than replace the pins. My impression was that changing the pins was a real pain. I was happy to take the new hinges as it was all at their expense.

check your handle. if it's loose it'll rattle.

i did move that floating nut, but just barely because it was so tight. i cleaned off the little bushing that goes around the striker, and that looked pretty worn, so I am going to replace that, then tighten up the striker with a torx wrench.

i checked the hinge pins, and the door doesn't have any play at all, so it's not that. I just fixed the door handle a few months ago, so it's not gthat either. thanks for the help.

It isn't your actual door upholstery is it? My passenger panel was loose on mine and made all kinds of racket..

I had a bolt holding the window track to the door come loose. Both the track and bolt were rattling around in there. When I took off the door panel and watershield the bolt fell out. It was pretty obvious at that point what was causing all the noise.

Back