anatomy of a radiator

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
The radiator in my Explorer ('92) has developed a leak. It is leaking coolant from the top fitting for the transmission cooler. It only leaks when the radiator is hot. How does that fitting "fit" into the radiator and how is it supposed to seal? Let me emphasize that it's leaking coolant, not ATF. And, I guess the $64 question -- Is this the kind of leak that will be reparable, or will I end up getting a new radiator?

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Took it into a radiator shop and they seem to have fixed it. Apparently, the transmission cooler is held in place by those nuts made of sheet metal and the seal is made by a rubber gasket. Not sure how, but, apparently, that seal had deterioted/swelled/something so it no longer sealed. They replaced the seal, cleaned and painted the radiator, and we seem to be back in business.

So, we all don't get afraid to take it to a repair shop (when we are over our heads).......How much to fix it?

Aloha, Mark

They charged me ~$50. A new radiator would have cost ~$130-$200, so I guess I came out ahead. Of course, if I end up needing more radiator work in the near future, I'll wish I had just bought a new radiator. If I only had a crystal ball....

I once has my plastic radiator crack in the area where the drain plug is. I managed to seal it with plastic from an old attache case handle. I used a propane blow torch to melt it into the hole. That was about 10 years ago. I used the same handle to patch a hole in my antifreeze/washer fluid tank. It is called plastic welding. Some companies like Eastwood, and Harborfreight sell plastic welding kits with plastic sticks that look very much like hot glue sticks.

Just in case anybody is interested in a new radiator, the best place I've found so far is WWW.Autocoolradiators.Com. They have a lifetime warranty, no tax, and free delivery. I once needed a radiator for my father's car, and they were the cheapest.

Back