How do i remove a radiator on my 1993 Ford Explorer ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RADIOACTIVE_TOOL_SHED___

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro north Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford explorer xlt
Hey guys so my radiator on my 93 is leaking pretty badly any advice or pictures on how to replace the radiator would be truly appreciated thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

okay, bottom of the radiator passenger side there is a drain petcock, get a drain pan that can hold 4-5 gallons of water underneath and open it up. Coolant should start to stream out
Release the radiator cap to allow it to flow faster
Once it gets down to a small trickle then close the petcock and move your pan over to the drivers side under the lower radiator hose. Now unhook the spring clamp and loose the lower hose from the radiator, be ready to catch all the coolant. Let it drain until it stops dripping out.
Next you will want to loosen and remove the upper radiator hose
Now if you have a auto transmission there will be two metal trans cooler lines feeding into the drivers side of the radiator...... use a 16mm wrench to loosen both lines. Some red atf will drip out, but not much.
Now you are down to the fan shroud, fan and finally the two bolts that hold the top of the radiator to the truck
With a 10mm undo the two fan shroud to radiator bolts up at the top of the shroud both sides.
Now you should use a fan tool to remove the cooling fan from the water pump, if you do not have one and do not plan to change the fan you can just let the fan shroud hang over the fan and leave it in place.
There are two 10mm bolts that hold the top of the radiator to the truck, loosen those.
Unhook the rubber coolant overflow tube and fish the end of it down and into your drain pan, this will drain the remaining coolant from the overflow tank
Now you can simply pull your radiator up and out of its hole. careful it will continue to drip coolant everywhere, if you keep it at the right angle it will stop leaking
good luck!

okay, bottom of the radiator passenger side there is a drain petcock, get a drain pan that can hold 4-5 gallons of water underneath and open it up. Coolant should start to stream out
Release the radiator cap to allow it to flow faster
Once it gets down to a small trickle then close the petcock and move your pan over to the drivers side under the lower radiator hose. Now unhook the spring clamp and loose the lower hose from the radiator, be ready to catch all the coolant. Let it drain until it stops dripping out.
Next you will want to loosen and remove the upper radiator hose
Now if you have a auto transmission there will be two metal trans cooler lines feeding into the drivers side of the radiator...... use a 16mm wrench to loosen both lines. Some red atf will drip out, but not much.
Now you are down to the fan shroud, fan and finally the two bolts that hold the top of the radiator to the truck
With a 10mm undo the two fan shroud to radiator bolts up at the top of the shroud both sides.
Now you should use a fan tool to remove the cooling fan from the water pump, if you do not have one and do not plan to change the fan you can just let the fan shroud hang over the fan and leave it in place.
There are two 10mm bolts that hold the top of the radiator to the truck, loosen those.
Unhook the rubber coolant overflow tube and fish the end of it down and into your drain pan, this will drain the remaining coolant from the overflow tank
Now you can simply pull your radiator up and out of its hole. careful it will continue to drip coolant everywhere, if you keep it at the right angle it will stop leaking
good luck!
Thank you just got the radiator out earlier today it was fairly easy besides the trans cooler lines they wer a little stuck but not to bad lol

Nice detail 410 I was looking at my radiator today going why bother but now reading ur post I'm like why not perfmance radiator I got sitting in the garage from a previously restored car it's about 2x the size all aluminium I've decided.....yes

I don't believe I removed my fan to swap radiators. It was pretty easy. I believe I just removed the shroud and pulled the radiator out.

Back