And Blue XLS makes 5-- bought another Exploder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

And Blue XLS makes 5-- bought another Exploder

RustyMacintosh

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4 Exploder
I had promised myself that enough was enough. But with so many great buys on the market!

I own a 99 XLT 4.0, at 200k we swapped in a used motor from LKQ. 4500 miles later, the rear chain rattled when the engine is hot (after 2 hours non stop at highway speeds on a 100 deg day) chain was making noise occasionally.

I called the supplier who got the motor from LKQ--they told us to shove off. SINCE I did not replace the chains and guides, I was SOL. OK--I can deal with that. Man up, pull it, fix it, that is my favorite Exploder.

Tech said to me,,,"You hear that wrist pin rattle?" Me "No", Tech, "Yes you do, you just don't hear it yet." He smiled, ahhhhh inference! He's right! I could hear a wrist pin knock. (actually not).

LKQ sent another motor. It arrived yesterday on a pallet. TO CHAIN or NOT TO CHAIN.....probably will this time.

I also have a 98 XLT, 205K loaded options, leather etc. It was sort of a sad case. The young lady who got hooked up with a parolee who then beat her ass, when then stabbed her kid, then burnt the apartment down, she sold me the 98 4.0 on the cheap. IT---turns out to have the sweetest sounding 4.0. At 206k, it purrs. Even the shop owner was impressed. 90 year old mother drives it. She likes the digital entry key, running boards and the AC is colder than a witches tit.

Then bought a 98 Edie Bauer from this preacher-wannabe-paroled- self appointed-Harley Rider -for -Jesus -guy who could spew out the bullshit like a big dawg in Washington DC. Nice ride. V-8 actually. Edie has the 5.0. BUT---(always a but in every good deal), windows, door handles blend doors, and the rear differential howled like a wolf at midnight.

OK, suck it up, bI ought a replacement rear with 112k, tore into the heater box to repair the blend door, door panels are off and repaired, ---OK, so the drivers' door is a problem child but it won't win. I punched it coming into the driveway last night. Two long wide burnoff black marks from the street across the sidewalk and into the driveway. NICE! Grandson saw his benefactor doing what gramps can do when gramps holds the keys...$$$...and authority.

1994 XLT popped up. 4x4. Sad case again. I should feel guilty. But you know the saying? BUYER BEWARE? Well in this instant, SELLER BEWARE is applied here.

Older lady, 1 owner, totally ripped off by the shop she was dealing with. 211k miles, they sold her a new, not rebuilt, but NEW (where they found it is beyond me) trans. About $3k, then a rebuilt transfer case. Then new brakes, then tires, then shocks, then AC, then radiator, then water pump, she then moved to my town, from out-of-state, the smog guy says.

"lady, it passed smog but you got a cracked head." She drove it home, parked it, bought a new Kia. She began to run an ad, week after week I would see this ad. Finally, after about 6 months I broke down, went over and saw the SUV. Nice shape, spotless interior. She fired it up, I opened up the radiator cap, no bubbles, I opened the oil spout, no milk. Engine did misfire for a few moments then settled into a nice quiet idle.

She was asking $1500, she said she would take 800, I offered her 600, we agreed. I went to an ATM then had me #4. I drove the SUV for a couple of weeks-in the morns,-it would misfire for a few, then settle down to a nice idle, run perfectly all day long. Next morn, misfire, #6. I put plugs, wires but no avail. Every morning misfire. #6.

OK, so it MIGHT have a crack. It might have a headgasket, it might it might it might. There is a product which you can buy off Ebay called LIQUID GLASS. Comes in a quart jar. Used for sealing concrete etc. Hey for a gallon of antifreeze and $34 bucks, what the worst could happen?

OK, I'll try it. Drained the radiator of antifreeze. Garden hosed the radiator out. I did NOT remove the thermostat. That is a 2 hour job at best. at least for me. I refilled with water, poured the magic elixir into the the engine, let it idle for an hour, let it cool, drained it out, garden hosed the radiator, refilled with anti-freeze, so far, so good. No misfire in the morns. 900 miles so far. 100-106d days with the AC on. Mornings it is smooth.

OH, I ordered a 67k complete motor from a yard in Northern Washington State, it is on its way.....just in case.

THEN!! Came #5.

OK, under certain circumstances, at least this instant, the family now has sought the help from the courts to begin receivership or at the very least, to have a mental evaluation at some local hospital....monkey ward....I've done many conservatorship actions before the court. Easy, painless for me, emotional and splits family on the other side...

But my kids know better. (There is an irrevocable trust). And both of my eyes point somewhat straight forward. I do not wear pampers, yet, and the dog is my dog, she would not do well anywhere but at this house....

So an absolutely gorgeous 2001 came out on the marketplace. It needs a motor. Another 1 owner always garaged car. But it is 4x2. Me, myself and I had this debate for several hours over the possibility of owning yet another Explorer, even if I had promised my kids, my grandkids, and myself that I was at the limit.

WELL...some things in life come in 3's, in this instant, they have come in 5's.

Below are the pictures. I was sold as I came up the street. Dark blue. Almost spotless body. New tires too! Nice....peered into the driver's window, nice clean interior. Even the center console was clean, no elbow wear!

I see a Devin Nunes for Senate sign in their yard, I like them already! (Devin is our rep--)

Owner comes out. Nice older lady, I was impressed....(even us old goats can admire OK?) Turns out she wanted to sell it bad too. I asked about the motor, she said the shop down the road (I've on bought parts from them once....never again) said the engine is toast.

4x2 motor. I got a 4x4 motor on the truck due to arrive for the 99 as noted above. Hmmmm, let me think about the possibilities of this. I LIKE this dark blue. I LIKE the fact it is 1 owner. I like the fact the clear coat was not flaking off like the skin on my arms after 2 days in my Cuddy Cabin off shore of Santa Barbara.....which! Is frequently. But heck does Santa Barbara area have a nest of Exploders! Clean ones too.

So perviously mentioned Explorer has no trailer hitch. Hmmmm...this baby is clean. And the owners lawn is perfectly manicured. So she is careful about taking care of her stuff too.

$500. (remember Seller beware), deal made. I head to the ATM, I head to Uhaul and I head back.

OK, other than knowing my adult children will now come down on me like a load of bricks, (role reversals?) I was rather hard on them to finish college and such. Airline Pilot, M.D., and law school grads. I knew the grandsons would be having a field day with grampas new toy.

Suburban backed up, Uhaul trailer with ramps down, how the heck are we going to get this baby up on that trailer? Now, said previous owner climbs into the front seat and starts the Ford. Holy moly! Listen to that motor! It sounds like there is no oil pressure, but it is chains! She puts it in gear it backfired into the intake, then died. She repeats process. It took a whole lotta coaxing but the Ford finally limped up the ramps and was sitting nicely on the trailer.... She climbs out, over the fender of the trailer, gave me a kiss then went inside. I think I saw a tear... I wanted another kiss but that is for another time.

Shop has the Ford, engine is to be pulled, evaluated, and determined whereas what to do next....fix it, swap it, etc etc.

blueexplorer.jpg

blueexplorer2.jpg

IMG_20180820_111513516.jpg

IMG_20180820_111521395_HDR.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great story and great finds.

I know the feeling...I'm always 'Looking' and there are some great deals to be had. I promised myself that I finished my NOW project before I even consider another. I cant keep a wrench off my cars, nevertheless modify them in some way. They are fun to drive and easy to have. My kids thinks I'm nuts at times, but when it comes to selling, amazingly, their real feelings come out. :)

Life is too short. Enjoy it....If you have the time, space and money....keep that collection growing :)

My neighbours hate me. (LOL). One old bag down the street made comment to me when I walked by with my Border Collies, she wanted to know what sort of psycho case (she was pointing towards my home) lives there with all those boats, cars, trucks...

I stopped her mid-sentence.

He's an old trial lawyer --retired appeals judge --who I heard is living his 2nd childhood. (She died of COPD a year later.) Whoo hoo!

You know what makes 'Murica so special? We all are different. We all are free. OK as a lawyer I can argue the free thing exponentially.

I told yet another neighbour who made a crack about all the vintage pickups I once owned, "don't push your luck, instead of 8 there easily could be 12..."

My next door neighbour wanted to know why I did not just sell everything, then buy one ride. He is LDS, Mormon, I told him which one of your 8 kids do you want to keep after you give away the other 7....

Folks do not understand the enjoyment all of this brings. The hunt. The buy. The repair The repeat process...

Screw em, I got the biggest house on the block, and mine is paid for too! My tenure of living in this place since 1977 gives me senior status.

Hey for what it is worth? I was looking at SUV Ford Explorers online--the is a really nice clean copy with low miles up the road a bit....

Buying and fixing up old Explorers is an addiction Rusty. I'm finally curing myself of my 7 year Gen II Explorer addition. I'm down to 3 and I'm pretty sure I'll be down to 1 or 2 soon. Like my motorcycle, mussel car, boat, street rod and classic car additions it's time for me to move on to a new chapter. Do what you enjoy.

Sure beats alimony, child support and dirty diapers for sho!

I'm stopping at two.
Three if I count the Ranger.
I still look at the ads on eBay and Craigslist, though.

I'm stopping at two.
Three if I count the Ranger.
I still look at the ads on eBay and Craigslist, though.
I guess I got caught up in a Craiglist sweep---I lost over 100 handles the other morning. Some of those accounts were over 7 years old. Seems some schizo-nutcase who uses Craigslist to babble to his voices 24/7 (forums-OpenFo) has a direct connection to Craigslist HQ--

So, I now refuse to use CL ever again. I got some good deals off Facebook.com/marketplace, Lendup was so-so, Offerup was not much better but at least there is little chance of getting your stash wiped out.

Today, the owner of the shop said to come by to look at the new used LKQ motor that showed up. He pulled the front cover to peer at the chains.

The motor in the Blue XLS, MIGHT---just might be salvageable. While the chains were making all sorts of noise, the engine idled then died, the timing is way off, the heads and block might be OK, we got to get that motor out..on the stand, and open the front cover first.

If LKQ wants a motor back in exchange they might get this one.

These things follow you, last year I had 3, 01 XLT that looked horrible, amazing truck though, sold it, and ended up with my 2000 XLT 5.0 and a 01 Eddie Bauer I'm V8 swapping because that truck is special to me. Couple weeks ago, or months ago now, I got offered a 124K mile, rotted V8 Mountaineer, AWD, even has a front driveshaft. Meanwhile I'm browsing the other day and find a CLEAN 97 for $500 that needs a trans, SOHC truck, but a beautiful truck, and transmissions for 97s are COMMON here, but nope, I've been responsible so far, haven't agreed to but 1 this year.

I happen to enjoy the Exploders. 1st and 2nd generation. Yesterday I drove 2 of my XLT's 98 and 99 then jumped into the XLT 94. I felt like I fell to the floor in the 94.

Footnote: LKQ sent a replacement motor....it was reported by the guy that THIS one is a very low mile exceptionally good motor.
It arrived. It was seized, We used a breaker bar then finally got the engine to turn. Peering down into #1 once the intake was off you can see rust.

Compression on #1 is ZERO!.

Stay tuned, LKQ and I are having phone conversations. Including how they can advertise on EBAY one in Sacramento, with 92k on it, then tell me on the phone the lowest mile engine they have is 143K.

If I were to consider buying a used 4.0L SOHC engine from anyone, it would have to still be in the vehicle it came out of so I could here it run and see the odometer reading.

If I decide to replace the engine in my 2001 Sport Trac when it grenades, I think I'd take it to my Ford dealership and have them replace it. Someone on the forum did this last year and the cost was not that bad ($2500 range from what I recall) and all he had to do was drop his truck off and pick it up when it was done. If I can get the engine replaced (with labor and engine warranty included) why would I take a chance on a used motor (even one with "low mileage") and have to put the work into changing it myself? I enjoy working on vehicles, but spending $900-$1400 on a used SOHC of unknown condition and having to go through the aggravation of having to swap the engine, only to possibly still have problems, just doesn't seem worth it. it's not like it's unusual for these engines to have problems. In my personal experience it's pretty typical.

If my 200K plus Job 2 ST engine was a good candidate I'd consider pulling it and rebuilding it myself, but (for various reasons) it is not.

If I were to consider buying a used 4.0L SOHC engine from anyone, it would have to still be in the vehicle it came out of so I could here it run and see the odometer reading.

If I decide to replace the engine in my 2001 Sport Trac when it grenades, I think I'd take it to my Ford dealership and have them replace it. Someone on the forum did this last year and the cost was not that bad ($2500 range from what I recall) and all he had to do was drop his truck off and pick it up when it was done. If I can get the engine replaced (with labor and engine warranty included) why would I take a chance on a used motor (even one with "low mileage") and have to put the work into changing it myself? I enjoy working on vehicles, but spending $900-$1400 on a used SOHC of unknown condition and having to go through the aggravation of having to swap the engine, only to possibly still have problems, just doesn't seem worth it. it's not like it's unusual for these engines to have problems. In my personal experience it's pretty typical.

If my 200K plus Job 2 ST engine was a good candidate I'd consider pulling it and rebuilding it myself, but (for various reasons) it is not.
there is a new 4.0 on Ebay, out of SoCAL
2300 bucks
he says it is a NEW motor

Well my extra came out a "mom and pop" yard, old lady one owner Sport, 135K miles, watched it run, it ran SMOOTH, and quiet as a brand new truck, $300 later, or in my case just trading favors, I've got it. Sucks my Eddie's trans went before it ever went in, thus sealing the deal on the V8 Eddie.

*Edit* OP sounds like they sent you a core, since an engine if stored well should be good a long time.

Back