Annoying Ping in overdrive under load on v8 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Annoying Ping in overdrive under load on v8

ric232 said:
Todd, sorry to ruin your day, but it will be back in less than a year. I changed the EGR valve on mine (as well as the DPFE sensor), SeaFoamed and everything. Worked great for a while, but it came back.

Forgot about this thread, and yes its back. :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about switching back to the stock airbox to see if that helps. But with doing a lot of highway driving, I'm afraid its going to cause long term damage. I think I'm going to take it to the dealer for this issue, and a nonfunctioning rear wiper. So we'll see what happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update And More Info Please My Truck Is Driving Me Crazy With The Highway Pinging.i Have Did Everything But The Egr Valve Change.

Pinging is caused from the valves knocking. It tends to sound a lot like marbles bouncing in a tin can. Valve knocking is more common when the engine is under extreme loads, such as going up a hill at low rpm's. Believe it or not, the engine has less load as it approaches redline than when it is at the beginning of the powerband. A valve adjustment can solve this but more times than none, it is caused by the engine timing becoming out of sync. If the timing becomes too advanced, it will cause the engine to fire prematuraly, prior to the pistons reaching top dead center. This noise is the valves being pushed back up by the compression of the cylinders. Check the timing. Chances are you could benefit from retarding it a little bit.

Have you checked to see if there is a lot of oil residue in the manifold? I had a 5.0L Mustang that would rattle really bad. I used a fuel filter on the PCV line going into the intake to catch ny of the oil and that did the trick. Maybe the Steeda Oil Separtor would help in your situation.

Stock air box on, still happening. Turns out the dealer wants to replace the EGR, no covered under my warranty so the hell with that. They want $300 to do it!

I'm just going to let it do it until it dies. Yes its annoying, but it still runs.

cecilseahawks said:
Pinging is caused from the valves knocking. It tends to sound a lot like marbles bouncing in a tin can. Valve knocking is more common when the engine is under extreme loads, such as going up a hill at low rpm's. Believe it or not, the engine has less load as it approaches redline than when it is at the beginning of the powerband. A valve adjustment can solve this but more times than none, it is caused by the engine timing becoming out of sync. If the timing becomes too advanced, it will cause the engine to fire prematuraly, prior to the pistons reaching top dead center. This noise is the valves being pushed back up by the compression of the cylinders. Check the timing. Chances are you could benefit from retarding it a little bit.

This sounds like what was happening back when I actually had the truck..

I got a scanner to check everything out, and actualy made a thread about the abnormal advance of timing when I would hear the knocking valves....Let me see if i can dig it up.

EDIT: Here's the thread...if you scroll down you can see some screenshots of some logs where the timing would be advanced all the way up to 40 degrees

Back