Annoying Ping in overdrive under load on v8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Annoying Ping in overdrive under load on v8

south59

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 5.0
I know pinging has been beat to death on this board, but i have somewhat of a unique situation....my trucks develops the wierdest ping/diesel sound immediately after the shift into overdrive. the ping isnt noticeable at high rpms, but at RPM's around 1500-2200. It occurs mostly on highway on ramps and when passing people on the freeway.

I'm definitely aware of the v8 tick/manifold leak(which this has), but this is a completely different sound.

The truck has new plugs and wires and has been seafoamed. the maf has also been cleaned.

Im looking for suggestions on how to troubleshoot this further. i dont understand why this only occurs after the overdrive shift. Thanks alot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow, i was just searching for a thread on this, cause i just noticed the same problem with mine, it seems like going up a hill or small inclines it develops this noise, kinda like a pinging. i have always used the same gas in my explorer, so i switched to a higher octane, and it still does it, but like south50 said, at higher rpms, it wont do it, i even seen if it did it while i put my foot on the brake and gas at the same time, but it dont do it then, any help or suggestions would be great

hostile413 said:
wow, i was just searching for a thread on this, cause i just noticed the same problem with mine, it seems like going up a hill or small inclines it develops this noise, kinda like a pinging. i have always used the same gas in my explorer, so i switched to a higher octane, and it still does it, but like south50 said, at higher rpms, it wont do it, i even seen if it did it while i put my foot on the brake and gas at the same time, but it dont do it then, any help or suggestions would be great

Yeah, it really puzzles me...No codes or anything. Have you ever changed your oxygen sensors?

Go to a Mustang garage and ask one of the mechanics to ride with you; ask them to carefully listen for a faulty lifter sound.

never changed my oxygen sensor, will that help?

any other ideas?

I have the same problem, pings on uphills about 1800-2500 rpm in o/d. On mine I have :

-Cleaned MAF
-Cleaned throttle body
-Replaced intake gaskets between upper manifold and air horn where EGR mounts ( some old ones develop leaks)
-Seafoam into intake to decarbonize engine - twice
-Tried a colder plug range
-Checked EGR operation
-Replaced coolant temp sensor
-Tried high octane
-Disconnected the coolant lines that heat the upper intake manifold to cool the intake air - pinging gets worse in hot conditions.

I have considered putting in a new MAF, but don't really expect it to do any good. Same with oxygen sensors. I do not have a real time scanner to look at stuff, but wish I did.

The last time my PCM was flashed was 2001, for pinging, did no good. I am thinking there may be a PCM update, but have not checked. Fords big answer will probably be retarding timing, which cuts power.

I believe at this point that the engine programming needs to be updated - when you go into o/d and its pinging, probably more EGR, or unlocking the torque converter earlier (as soon as you depress the gas pedal or at a certain throttle load) in that gear would help. I suspect Ford was trying to maximize fuel economy.

Did read a thread about a guy who turboed a 5.0 Mustang, and did some custom chip programming to increase EGR flow at about 2200 rpm to get rid of ping. I don't anticipate doing that however.

Interesting you all have 96's and 97's - mine is 99.

This all started when I had terrible pinging with Platinum 4 plugs, which turned out to be oil getting sucked into my PCV valve. I started using oil between changes when the oil was changed to a 5-20w. I now use 15-50w, which cured all my pinging with the exception of the o/d ping. If you think your standard plugs ping, just wait till you try Platinum 4's!

So there ya go! Can anybody think of anything I forgot to check?

Mine does the same thing, this pinging, at about 1500-2000 rpm's. Just noticed it yesterday. Must be an answer to this somewhere.

I totalled it before i could figure it out :(

I had the same problem, I did some research on the internet, everything pointed to faulty EGR valve. $50 from advance and a few hours, my pinging is gone.

That is the round black thing attached to the elbow on the upper intake. It has a vaccuum line on the top and a metal tube on the bottom of it connecting it to the passanger side exhaust manifold.

I never knew you solved that problem Todd
Congratulations.
So you are back to 87 octane with no issue ?

MONMIX said:
I never knew you solved that problem Todd
Congratulations.
So you are back to 87 octane with no issue ?

Yup. Truck is happy once again. Except somehow I created and exhaust leak in the process. Which I'm going to look at this weekend.

IAmTodd said:
Yup. Truck is happy once again. Except somehow I created and exhaust leak in the process. Which I'm going to look at this weekend.
Time for the Torquemonster headers

jtsmith said:
Time for the Torquemonster headers

Ha. They've priced them out of my dreams.

tell ya what, I have a set of FMS I'll sell in a couple months for 200, just bought them from tommy for 300. I'll need to run them for awhile though, till I can afford
You might be able to weld the stock headers. It might even last awhile, mine did for about 6 months.
now I'm doing the least expensive fix, but T/M s are coming

I'll hold you to the FMS ones ;)

IAmTodd said:

Well yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay and
awwwwwww.

( you are putting me on an emotional roller coaster )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IAmTodd said:

Todd, sorry to ruin your day, but it will be back in less than a year. I changed the EGR valve on mine (as well as the DPFE sensor), SeaFoamed and everything. Worked great for a while, but it came back.

Back