Another 4WD won't disengage thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another 4WD won't disengage thread

rehsper

Reaction score
City, State
Ensenada, Baja California
Year, Model & Trim Level
(1999 Exploder V6 Auto)
Hello all, first off, apologies for dredging up a repeat topic. I've been around enough forums to know that it's all been covered before. I've read many threads yet through a combination of circumstances (front driveshaft already out, my first time diagnosing a 4WD anything) I am compelled to ask. Thank you for your patience and help.

A friend bought himself a '99 Ex (V6, auto, ControlTrac 4wd). PO handed him the front driveshaft claiming it was removed to improve fuel economy --I know, super bad sign-- I swear it's not my car, asking for a friend, really :)

Fast forward to now, friend lives on a steep dirt road. With recent rains there is a desire to engage the front axle.

However upon inspection I find that the front output shaft of the transfer case (TC) does not spin freely when the car is in "auto". The http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-not-working-a-troubleshooting-how-to.203441/ guide says it should. Disconnecting the battery to cut power to the TC clutch solenoid has no effect, the TC front drive flange is still linked to the rear driveshaft.

With no power to the TC clutch solenoid (verified by disconnecting the battery), the clutch and therefore the front driveshaft output flange should be disengaged and spin freely, no? In my mind all this points to a mechanical problem w/in the TC. Or am I missing something?

Back