Another GROWL problem and no idea, sorry. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another GROWL problem and no idea, sorry.

The car is silent once again!! :)

Got around to changing the right hub today just to rule that out first and 'HEY PRESTO'

The minute i removed the hub and spun it in my hand and heard the dry bearing against metal sound with the bearing snagging occasionally, it was pretty obvious.

To be honest i'm shocked it was the right hub cos all the clues pointed to it being the left hub (see above), plus the growl and the vibrations seemed to be coming from the left side of the car. I've learned something new today and hope somebody else will too.

Cheers everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok. I think I have a similar problem on my 99 Mountaineer, AWD. It growls continuously but goes quiet if I swerve hard to the right. I thought that this was unloading the right hub so I replaced it with no effect. Am I to understand that you had a similar but opposite problem on the left hub? I was getting ready to replace the entire differential until I read this post.

Yes, opposite hub. I had the same problem, that's why I suggested trying the other side. Chances are though if one was bad, the other would soon follow, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them both.

had a couple of ford exploers that made noise under accelleration,does not under load.come to find out the frt diff needed work,have alot of oppertunity for different problems working in the used car shop at a dealer.

Ok. I think I have a similar problem on my 99 Mountaineer, AWD. It growls continuously but goes quiet if I swerve hard to the right. I thought that this was unloading the right hub so I replaced it with no effect. Am I to understand that you had a similar but opposite problem on the left hub? I was getting ready to replace the entire differential until I read this post.

Yeah it turned out to be the right hub which completely surprised me! Everything was pointing to it being the left hub (even the growl sound was more on the left side), and i had hubs go on my previous explorer and they all were the hubs which went quiet when i turned and took the load off them.

This hub went absolutely silent when i loaded it (even at speed). I was thinking it was somewhere in the half shaft or diff area and was going to start swapping parts out. Glad i tried the other hub first just to rule it out, cos it saved me so much time and money :)

For the short time it takes to change the opposite hub, its worth a try!! Hope you kept the hub you took out so you can install it in the other side (as it is still good!). Only wish i'd done it earlier on mine and saved all the headache :mad:

Just got to sort out all my other problems now....Water loss, lean on banks 1&2 code problem, uneven tick over, excessive fuel consumption, shock absorbers, camber/caster alignment and so on. :(

Update: I replaced the LEFT side bearing even though the symptoms pointed to the right side. The growl is gone! Many thanks for the advice.

Regards,
Karl

The car is silent once again!! :)

Got around to changing the right hub today just to rule that out first and 'HEY PRESTO'

The minute i removed the hub and spun it in my hand and heard the dry bearing against metal sound with the bearing snagging occasionally, it was pretty obvious.

To be honest i'm shocked it was the right hub cos all the clues pointed to it being the left hub (see above), plus the growl and the vibrations seemed to be coming from the left side of the car. I've learned something new today and hope somebody else will too.

Cheers everyone.
You owe me a beer....:D

Back