Kerts Project 1978 Glastron CVX16

kert0307

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pella, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport and '89 B2
Picked this up this weekend since we live less than a mile from the largest lake in Iowa, even though it isn't really that big... I really like the shape of these boats especially for the age of them. It currently has a 140 mercruiser inboard, but it won't be in there for long. Lets just say I found a Ford to put in. This is more for a winter project, so updates will be few and far between until the B2 is "done" (shooting for thanksgiving)

Attachments

• glastron 1.jpg
    glastron 1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 15,225
  • glastron 2.jpg
    glastron 2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 10,155
  • merc 140.jpg
    merc 140.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 4,676

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glastron had a big history in the movies back in that era, James Bond type stuff.

Be careful with the engine swap, that outdrive can only handle so much hp. Not sure if this is your first one but the acronym for boat is

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

That's a beautiful boat:chug: Enjoy!

I say nix the fiberglass cover back there, and toss on a Shaker- perfect shape! :D

Nice boat- I do like those lines!

Be careful with the engine swap, that outdrive can only handle so much hp. Not sure if this is your first one but the acronym for boat is

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Haha, ya I always heard they were money pits... I'm already starting to realize what I got myself into, the reason for swaping the engine (it's my fault I didn't look at it close enough when I bought it) was because the engine is frozen right now. As far as the outdrive handling it, I have a donor boat I picked up tonight thanks to CL with a good 302 and a mercury 888 outdrive. Still need to make some measurements, but it "looks" like it will work.

Last edited:

be sure to post pics when ur all done with this 78 glastron

Some pics to show what this will involve.

Current engine compartment.

DSCN2876.jpg

What needs to fit in there...

DSCN2874.jpg

There might be something in this picture that will make it into the B2 as well, if you can guess what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice boat! I am going to start a boat project this summer. I was curious how much did you get that donor boat for?

The donor boat (Yellow one) I got for a steal... found it on Craig's list. Paid $200 for the boat with trailer, I got to hear the boat run before I bought it too. It was in great mechanical condition, but the floor was rotted so bad that you were wondering if you would fall through it when you walked on it. It also came with all titles and registration.

I literally stripped everything off of the boat possible, including stainless steel screws... Junked it at a local auto salvage and made the trailer into a nice little flatbed (6X8 deck with 4000lb axle)

Edit: Donor was a 18ft Larson. I think it was a 186 All American Bowrider late 70's era.

found it on Craig's list. Paid $200 for the boat with trailer

Sweet deal! I am looking for a 350 Mercruiser but don't want to spend 1000.00 plus

nice!!

so your lower unit will work with that new 302?

boats are awesome, floor repairs are always a real PITA

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

the fuel tank is going BII?

so your lower unit will work with that new 302?

I have a good Mercury 888 stern drive that came with the 302. It has the same transom bolt pattern as the mercruiser 140 that was stock with the boat. So All I have to do is modify the 302 engine mounts and it's pretty much a "bolt in" swap.

boats are awesome, floor repairs are always a real PITA

Ya, I'm ripping the floor out of the Glastron right now because I want to know that the boat is solid since i'm putting that 302 back there. I'm pretty much using the book "Runabout Renovation" by Jim Anderson as a bible since it seems to have good reviews on about all vintage boat forums.

the fuel tank is going BII?

I thought about temporarily using it while collecting parts for converting to propane, but now I think I'm just going to wait and only use propane on the B2.

Very cool Kert- keep the updates coming! Are you going to work on it through the winter, or will it be done before then?

I'm hoping it will be "done" this year before the water freezes so I can get any bugs worked out for next summer. Done being a running condition. I have my doubts that the interior will be completed by then, but it should have all the gauges and front seats in so I can take it out a couple times.

It's coming a long great!
Keep it up and as soon as it's nice out you can drop that bad boy in the water and take off! :)

Can't wait to see a picture of it in the water

If I get it running, and the lake is not frozen over, it will be on the water for a test run with my winter coat on... :D

Well, last night I finally go this beast to a point where I started it up for the first time. It took a little while to get it primed, but once it fired it ran like a top. Idle is a little high, but the 4-barrel carb came off a boat with a 350, so I expected to have to do some tuning. I'll try and get some video this evening when I get some water hooked up to it. Then I'll winterize it and wait patiently for spring to show up for its maiden voyage...again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Video if it running. Carb still needs to be adjusted a bit. fyi video is LOUD!

Back