• Register Today It's free!

Another Stereo Question

musicman79

Reaction score
City, State
Bradford, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
I just got a 2001 Explorer XLT It has the premium sound system (no factory sub) and I'm going to put in an aftermarket H/U (probably Pioneer DEH-P3800MP). My question is what would be the best setup?

1- get the line level converter harness to use the factory amp?
2- get the amp bypass harness to use the H/U amp?

AND what would be the better option if I was going to upgrade from the factory speakers?

On a side note I don't mind the way the stock system sounds, but I don't think the stock speakers would last that long at higher volumes and I'm going to add subs so I got to have a pioneer deck with sub woofer controls.

Any and all info appreciated

P.S. I'm new so please be gentle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see on the sticky that the factory amp is built into the stock H/U on my year.

So I can get a normal wiring harness ?

I'm just a little confused because Crutchfield's fit chart says I might need a special harness and I called the local shop and they said I would need a $50 harness because of the factory amp.

If your going to add speakers and then a sub, don't bother trying to integrate into the stock setup. Just wait, get everything together and replace the stock setup completely.

Thanks for your info, but I want to keep everything but the H/U stock for now.

I was just wondering what wire harness to use?

i have a 98 which is older than yours and i got a $5 harness at walmart. soldered everything up and it sounds great(well..... as good as my system could sound, but probly crappy by some peoples standards, but that has nothing to do with the harnes) if you want to know if the amp is built in, remove the head unit and look for heat sinks on the back. i am thinkin that if a head unit on an older year didnt have the amp built in, it wouldnt need heat sinks.

Back