Anti-lock brakes engaging Randomly, ABS light coming on and off? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anti-lock brakes engaging Randomly, ABS light coming on and off?

joetoyc

Reaction score
City, State
fort lupton CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Coming home from work a few weeks ago, out of the blue, as I braked at a light my Anti-lock brakes engaged. The roads were not wet or slick, the ABS shouldn't have come on. I almost went of the road, but after a few moments they let off. About a mile later the ABS light came on. has pretty much been on constantely since then, but occationally it goes off. When ever it comes back on, though, it is always after the ABS engages. And now my brakes are real spongy. I plan on taking it in next week but was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues? What kind of cost am I looking at?

Mine did the same thing under warranty, the light would come and go after a week or two, it always came on. Took it in and it was the Rear ABS sensor, there is only one on the Diff, they hooked it up to a reader to ID the problem. Few others as well have had problems with the Rear, never heard anything about Fronts (two L/R) although could be wrong.

Back