Anti Wind up Bar???

dbscanlan

Reaction score
City, State
Round Hill, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer AWD V8
Has anyone had this problem?

I have a 2000 AWD Mountaineer V8. I recently noticed from behind the vehicle the car leans to the driver side. I measure all 4 wheels from the ground to the center of the fender wheel well and 3 measure 33 1/2 inches, but the rear driver side is only 32 inches.

Looking under the vehicle the rear driver side anti wind up bar is bolted on and not bent, but hangin down below the leaf spring. Is this a part that I can adjust to get the rear driver side height up to 33 1/2 inches to match the other 3?

The Hayne's manual call this part an "anti wind up bar", but I can not find any mention of it on this site or others.

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dbscanlan said:
Has anyone had this problem?

I have a 2000 AWD Mountaineer V8. I recently noticed from behind the vehicle the car leans to the driver side. I measure all 4 wheels from the ground to the center of the fender wheel well and 3 measure 33 1/2 inches, but the rear driver side is only 32 inches.

Looking under the vehicle the rear driver side anti wind up bar is bolted on and not bent, but hangin down below the leaf spring. Is this a part that I can adjust to get the rear driver side height up to 33 1/2 inches to match the other 3?

The Hayne's manual call this part an "anti wind up bar", but I can not find any mention of it on this site or others.

Any help would be appreciated.

Anti wind up bar? Never heard of that. Are you possibly referring to the sway bar? You also have to consider the gas tank is on the drivers side. With a tank of gas or even less than 1/2, your truck will lean toward that side due to the weight of the gas in the tank.

Are you talking about this bar? Both sides are identical on mine I do believe.

Attachments

• Picture 177.jpg
    Picture 177.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,677

Thanks IAMTodd, I was mistaken about it being the anti wind up bar, (which you pictured). After looking a little closer at the Hayne manual the problem I'm having is associated with the sway bar.

Blee1099, the sway bar itself looks fine, it's the link bar that is attached between the main stabilizer bar and the frame. The portion of the bar with the link nut is hanging just below the leaf spring, whereas on the rear passenger side it is just above the leaf spring. Currently I only have a 1/4 of gas, so I don't believe that is the problem. This leaning just started within the last week, but this is the first time I actually decided to measure, I always thought it was my eyes playing trick on me.

It's actually an anti-sway bar, car people call it a sway bar.

There are countless reports of these trucks being different heights at various corners.
The rear leaf springs can sag differently as they age. The front ride height is easily adjustable, and many times wasn't level to start with.

The most rewarding change you can make to one of the 2nd gen.(95-01) Explorers/Mountaineers, is to install an aftermarket rear anti-sway bar.

Explorers Express is having a group buy right now. They are going to sell the rear sway bar for $20 less than normal. The 98 and newer Explorers already have the largest front bar. The company(EE) will be raising its prices, they said, due to steel costs going up. Their phone # is (888)397-5673.

The rear bar will be $159 plus shipping, and they will charge that price when they reach the ten minimum, who have comitted. It will end next month, or when they sell what they have in stock. I am one of the ten, and have ordered a rear bar for my 99 chassis.
Regards,
DonW

Further inspection... possibly one of the leaf springs has broken. The end link has a couple of bends in it, it would be hard to become damaged. LOL,
DonW

Thanks Don, I'm going to have to give it a further inspection tomorrow. It may be worth up grading the anti sway bar.

I installed the EE X-Spec kit when I bought mine two years ago. I believe that the rear bar made a world of difference in handling, and safety. Many of the other parts are just expensive, but complimentary to the rear bar.

Check out the Explorer X website, if you haven't seen any Saleen XP8's. There are a lot of nice parts to wish for.
Regards,
DonW

Back