Any common problems to look out for on 2006 onwards Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any common problems to look out for on 2006 onwards Explorer?

SamW

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hello everybody/anybody,

I am looking to buy a 2006-2008 Explorer, preferably V8, but it all depends on availability. I was wondering if there are any common problems to look out for when buying, are the gearboxes more reliable than the older ones (I had a 1999 4.0, gearbox went bad!, but the rest of the car was awesome) I am not a rich man, so am trying to avoid any unnecessary costs, so if a V8 is better or worse than the V6, or any other considerations anybody may feel I need to know, then please let me have them. Many thanks, and I look forward to any replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So many people have asked this same question, in this same section.
Please do a search.

Generally speaking (all brands)
The first model year of a body style change will be the one with most issues. The 2006 Explorer have the most issues and 2010 having the least.

Check out recalls on cars you are favoring, check dependability ratings also you can use this link to help decide but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/

Ah ha, links, thank you guys! Very useful. I have always found out common problems with cars after I have bought them, so thanks for making me aware of carcomplaints.

buy the V8

I had a 2004 V8 and now a 2006 v6. The v8 was bullet proof. The v6 is trash. The engine and transmission are notaablybweak links. I would advise you to go with the v8. Only my opinion.

Go with v8/ 6 speed combo. The engine and tranny are great (have some issues of course like any other brands), but much better than the older v8 with 5 speed tranny.
Contrary to the logic, my 06 v8, first model year is still going strong with 190k miles on it.
Yes, it requires "my love and care" every few months :), bearings, radiator at 150k, but overall, very happy.

Back