Any info about 4.0L SOHC crankshaft holding tool # 303-674? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any info about 4.0L SOHC crankshaft holding tool # 303-674?

Space Truckin'

Reaction score
City, State
North Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Exp XLT 4.0 SOHC 4WD
Does anyone have any information about the special tool # 303-674 mentioned very briefly in the repair procedure for the 01M01 cam chain guide warranty extension? It is used with a breaker bar or ratchet to keep the crankshaft from turning while removing (or torquing) the jackshaft sprocket on a 4.0L SOHC. I can’t find anything about the tool on the internet. It is not part of the OTC 6488 or 6489 tool kits used to time the cams.

:notworthy Moderators, please don’t move this to the tool forum. It will never be read there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to know more about that also. Holding the crank is always interesting without some special tool. Typically we use something in the teeth of the flywheel, which makes for a two man job. Regards,

I was going to try that but I had to pull the flex plate (auto trans version of a flywheel) because it interfered with my engine stand mounting plate. I thought about cutting a slot in a 27mm socket to make it look like a big O2 sensor socket. This could slide onto the front of the crank in place of the crankshaft pulley. I’m guessing that is how the Ford tool works. Instead, I bought a 1/2” drive 1-1/4”size Gator Grip universal socket. It’s the one with all the pins in it so it will hold odd shapes. The package says it can handle 400 lb/ft of torque and I will be able to use it for other projects too, unlike the modified 27mm socket. I’ll try this and let you know how it goes.

BTW Don, I have read some of your adventures with SOHC timing chains so I can’t say I am surprised you were the one who responded to my question. It seems like there must be a Ford dealer tech on here somewhere. I would think they would know about this tool and could help us.

There is one or two very good tech members here, I recognize their member names when I see them.

If that tool is just like a regular crank tool, check at other parts stores, or Summit. The common engines have those tools available, the SOHC may be a little odd yet.

I did find one online for the modular V8’s and V10 but it won’t work on the SOHC. That tool attaches to the block instead of using a breaker bar.

Back