Any info on V8 Explorer conversion to true 4x4? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any info on V8 Explorer conversion to true 4x4?

I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to find any information on converting either the 2wd or the AWD Explorer/Mountaineer V8 to a better 4wd system (true transfer case). For my purposes, a manual case is all that I'm looking for since I believe that will be easiest to setup.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out Ray's Truck

I think Ray's truck will cover your question. He went with the AtlasII and it is now a true 4X4 with manual shifters for the t-case. He is one of the moderators.

Gofast,

Doesn't Ray have a v-6?

jjue,

I think You can install an Atlas 2 t-case to the v-8 but from what I have heard that there is a lack of space for a real T-case. On the front you could use a dana 44 solid axle since you would have to swap that front suspention either way. infact you might be better off with useing your 2wd and convert the car to 4x4 at the same time. If you have a Awd the front suspention would have to be swapped for a 4x4 axle.

Kris,
There is no difference between an AWD (V8) front axle and the Control Trac (V6) front axle. The only difference in suspension is the V8s use a stiffer T-Bar.
Secondly, an Atlas II T-Case will NOT bolt up to a 4R70W(this is what the V8 uses) Transmission. I recommend using the Borg-Warner 4406 T-case out of a F-150 or Expedition.
JJUE, check out other threads (if you havn't done so already)resently asking about this subject under General Explorations. I go into greater detail about this conversion I'm going to do.

Darren

-98 Explorer Limited V8
-
-
-
-

I read some where they were differnt, my bad!

Stadx2, Keep me informed of your project, including est. costs... I too would like to swap out the all wheel drive t-case for a 4wd case.

Advance Adapters told me that they could mate a Dana 20 to a 4R70W

I hopefully will shortly be puting an Atlas II in my V8. I have talked to Advanced adapters and local 4x4 shops and they say it shouldn't be a problem. It will not be cheap however. The Atlas is $2000 and from what rumblings i am hearing the install will problably be $1500+. which brings up the issue of whether it would be better to sell the explorer and get a cherokee? i dunno.

andy

I recall someone posting about an adapter that bolts between the trans and the transfer case on AWD where the housing extension is that will give a low range. Cant remember what it is now though.

it's not an adapter, it's a gear reducer like the Klune-V. That would work, but I think that you need to get new driveshafts since that changes the distance from the t-case to the diff on both ends. Could be cool though, the first full-time 4-wheel-drive Explorer? :smoke: I'd think that it would be less hassle to just swap in a true transfer case though.

Back