Any problems with broken valve springs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any problems with broken valve springs?

rick72_us

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I have an '02 Explorer XLT with the 4.0 V6. I just broke a valve spring and it's a pretty big job to replace it. I had the same thing happen on a different cylinder a couple of years ago and I'm wondering if this is a common problem. This vehicle just sees routine driving and no heavy duty towing or high RPM. If you've had this problem, did you replace all of the springs or just the broken spring? If you only replaced the broken spring, did you ever have another spring break? Has anybody had any luck getting Ford to cover part of the expense?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if its common, but there are many unsolved rough idle issues. Did you have rough idle when the springs broke. Do you have any error codes? If so, did replacing the spring the first time fix any of this?

Not that I have any answers, I do have the unsolved rough idle issue.

I don't know if its common, but there are many unsolved rough idle issues. Did you have rough idle when the springs broke. Do you have any error codes? If so, did replacing the spring the first time fix any of this?

Not that I have any answers, I do have the unsolved rough idle issue.
As do I

My wife has an 04 Explorer and it idles rough enough to notice in park and then when coming to a stop, just before it stops between 700-800RPMs, you can feel it then it goes away under 700RPM while in gear. In park it idles a little rough. Took it to a mechanic and he ran all the diagnostics for codes and vacuum. Nothing showed up.

Guess it's nothing but it's weird.

My broken valve spring problem was much more than just a rough idle. The engine had a very serious misfire at all RPM and because I had experienced a broken valve spring with this vehicle before, I was immediately suspicious because it behaved exactly as it had before. Sure enough, another broken valve spring on a different cylinder.

Hey broken exhaust spring #6 misfire code and runs like abag of s___.Looks like nightmare to replace

Back